In Memory of Peter B. Ober

Please use this message forum to share your thoughts, memories, and stories about Pete.

In Memory of Peter B. Ober
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
Remembering
The Ober family remains in our prayers. Our memory of Pete is still strong and will never fade! Such a short time we knew him, but what a great honor it was to have been his friend!
Views: 309   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 16, 2010 5:04pm
by Cheri and Brock ...
c
Cindy
Seven Years
Dear Obers All: The years slip away, but the pain, though not as sharp, is still with us all. I wish I had some wonderful words of wisdom to share, but it's just me wanting to let you know that I am thinking about each of you on this day, seven years after Pete's...
Views: 320   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 16, 2010 3:43pm
by Cindy
Thinking of the Ober Family
Susan and all the other Obers, I thought a lot about all of you last Saturday. I KNOW Pete went to the Citadel rather than VMI, but still, being on the VMI campus for the first time, I thought of Pete. When you exit the Museum for the Campus Tour (led on this occas...
Views: 332   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 10, 2010 2:51pm
by Susan Ober
34 years ago today, another pebble
Pete, Today I am not feeling articulate, but still want to leave that "pebble on your gravestone". (I gave myself the OK to miss posting at the 1:04 pm moment of your birth.) Three years ago I said "Pete, the pain of losing you can hit hard at any time of a...
Views: 346   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 24, 2010 5:37pm
by Pete's mom
the Remembrances
Carah, Meg and Cheri, I appreciate so much the notes you left on the anniversary. I had planned to write something myself, but was so touched by what you each wrote that I let it go this time. It was a wonderful surprise to see that you had written and to know that...
Views: 366   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 26, 2009 7:24pm
by Pete's mom
the obers
As much as I love and Cherish Alica and Maddie, I know that God loves them more! I hope and pray that someday they will all be together with Pete/Dad. The Ober family will always be close to my heart. Love you all and thinking about you today- another year.
Views: 422   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 17, 2009 12:25am
by Carah Loforti
Never the Same River Twice
I became friends with Pete's sister, Marianne, while in college. I was drawn to Marianne because she could have fun in any situation and admired her capacity to speak intelligently about many topics while respecting different viewpoints. Marianne's mom, MRS. OBER...
Views: 435   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 16, 2009 12:55pm
by Meg LaFrantz (nĂ...
Remembering Petec
You are always in our thoughts and prayers. Whenever a helocopter passes over us, I put my hand over my heart and remember what a wonderful person Pete was. Brock went to Arlington with his school in May and got to visit Pete's place of rest. That was the first thing...
Views: 342   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 16, 2009 10:14am
by Cheri and Brock ...
Your birthday... again
Dear Pete, The night our country went to war, I wanted to pray to God but wasn't sure I could be heard; so instead, I wrote an e-mail to you and voiced to you all the thoughts I wanted God to hear. Today, the funny thing is, I'm writing to you but thinking maybe I...
Views: 410   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 3, 2009 8:56pm
by Jim Gaskins
Finding Alicia and Missing Peter
We have searched for you all these years since Peter went away. Do you remember staying with us in our apt. in Corpus Christi? We have never forgotten you, Madeline and always think of Pete. I saved every email, picture, etc. For some reason today I found you and...
Views: 389   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 24, 2008 10:39am
by Pat and Jerry Jo...
a
Alicia
MCM
Today I found out that my expected goal of $1000 had been met for the Marine Corps Marathon. The donation was given by Rick Ryan, a person you never had the chance to meet. His generosity means so much to me...in fact, it reminds me of you. Your dedication to physi...
Views: 508   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 22, 2008 6:06pm
by Pete's Mom
l
Les
16 Jul
Pete, You are in the thoughts of so many of us today. What happened five years ago tragically changed so many lives. Though you are not with us physically, your presence is felt. Two nights ago, by chance, I met a member of the rescue team that was first at the...
Views: 467   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 17, 2008 10:59am
by Cindy
l
Les
Memorial Day
Pete, we are thinking of you today, as always--knowing that if you were here with us, you too would be celebrating the lives of our country's fallen heroes. Our flag flies in your honor today.
Views: 477   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 26, 2008 9:24am
by Les
Thankful today
Pete. It is different this year... in this space, in this place. In other years, your mother-in-law... Cindy Newman... would likely have written here ahead of me to wish you peace and happiness on your birthday. She never forgot you, she never stopped missing you,...
Views: 461   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 24, 2008 1:04pm
by Pete's mom
a
Alicia
Thinking of you
Pete Yesterday, I celebrated another birthday without you. Every year it gets harder and harder turning another year older knowing that you are not here to share it with me. Sometimes, I can't believe that you're gone and other times, I long for the day when we w...
Views: 831   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 21, 2008 10:11pm
by Alicia
Remembering Pete
Hello, I was pleased to see a profile for Pete on Navy.togetherweserved today, and i was even more pleased when that led me to this site in his rememberance. Pete and Alicia were very good friends to me in Sigonella, I was devasted as we all were the day...
Views: 615   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 17, 2007 4:51pm
by Pete's mom
Pete is remembered
I went to the FRS with Pete. We went to separate squadrons, so the next time I saw him was when he was in Fujairah with HC-4. We were all horrified and devastated when we learned about the mishap. I got the chance to return the FRS as an instructor and got to wo...
Views: 524   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 17, 2007 4:09pm
by Pete's mom
Thinking about Pete
I went to high school with Pete at Episcopal and heard about his passing at our 10 year reunion. I bookmarked this site back then and today made my way back to look at all the pictures again. Thank you so much for keeping it up and providing a place to remember and...
Views: 487   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 11, 2007 9:28am
by Pete's Mom
A memorial concert for Peter...
Hello, My name is Kristy Kruger, songwriter out of Texas, and I met Peter's sister Marianne at one of my shows in Santa Fe. I lost my brother, Lt. Col. Eric Kruger in Iraq this past November, and am now performing a memorial concert in remembrance of him in all 50...
Views: 535   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 13, 2007 10:17am
by Susan Ober
l
Les
Memorial Day
Pete, We are flying the flag in your honor today. Thinking of you always. We remain a free people because of men and women like you. Thank you.
Views: 553   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 28, 2007 9:32pm
by Alicia
Not a day goes by!
It's hard to say how much I learned from Pete Ober. Just a few: hard work, honesty, respect, dependability,self-less service, loyatly, integrity, and as much as my wife hates it stubborness.
Views: 941   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 23, 2007 9:20am
by Pete's mom
Birthday
Pete- I've been thinking of you and your birthday coming up for the past week. I hope you know we miss you and love you and I hope you are having the most beautiful and peaceful birthday ever!! You are forever in our hearts- Cindy
Views: 549   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 24, 2007 2:37pm
by Cindy Newman
A pebble on your gravestone today, February 24
Pete, It often occurs to me that visiting here, at this website, is a vicarious way to visit you… as if I am at your grave in Arlington. I guess I write here hoping you have computer access! In case you don’t, I read out loud what I write so as t...
Views: 691   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 24, 2007 1:04pm
by Pete's mom
Veteran's Day
Tomorrow is Veteran's Day and I have been thinking of you Pete and all the other veterans we owe so much to. Please remember we deeply honor you, we sorely miss you, and we dearly love you Pete- Cindy
Views: 572   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 12, 2006 10:02am
by Susan Ober
Memorial Day thoughts
Pete, for me every day is a memorial day; I don't say that because I think I am a good person, but because I miss you every day. Nearly every day there is a point for me when I still want to cry as loud as I can, where no one can hear me but you: COME BACK!!!...
Views: 613   Replies: 4
Last Post: Oct 15, 2006 10:57pm
by Marcela Rice
My favorite...
I remember you, a young, full of energy new Charlie Company knob, reporting that first day... You became my favorite - and I remember feeling jealous that you quickly became everybody's favorite. Always careful to do the right thing - at whatever the cost. I wil...
Views: 597   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 10, 2006 11:42am
by Robb Zucker
a
Alicia
To my love
Pete, 3 years seems like a lifetime ago. A life that was forever taken – a life that was cut short. Our lives altered forever. Some days, it feels as if only a few minutes or hours have passed since the last time we spoke; since the last time you held me,...
Views: 1052   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 15, 2006 11:48pm
by Alicia
Childhood memories
Susan and Vince, This is Bob and Sue's daughter, Katie. I'm not sure if this is the most appropriate way to send my sympathy, but it's the only way I know how. I remember Peter. I remember him goofing around on Cannon Beach. I remember my parents driving him...
Views: 750   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 7, 2006 10:38pm
by Katie (Nelson) D...
Fatherhood for you
Pete, It's the 7th anniversary of your little girl's birthday... a life-changing event for you. My respect for you increased as I began to see this little girl help to carve away at your own self-centeredness. I think we all tend to grow up feeling we're the cente...
Views: 643   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 23, 2006 10:57am
by Pete's mom
lifeSTILL
Dear Pete, Tonight I will attend the opening of an exhibit that features new work of 8 women artists. As one of them, I am quite excited! Back in August I was told that we had a location and a date... February 3... (so I'd better start drawing). In November I w...
Views: 608   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 26, 2006 7:41pm
by Jeanette Andresc...
Pete
This past summer I attended the funeral of Uncle Zeke. At the funeral I saw all of the some people whom I hd not seen for a long time. One of the most memorable events that happened at the funeral was when Madeline approached Erin with three beautiful flowers. eri...
Views: 636   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 21, 2006 10:25pm
by Philip Lewis
Veteran's Day
Pete- I have been thinking of you on this Veteran's day and of your absolute service to our country. Alicia and Madeline are walking in a Veteran's Day parade with your picture on their shirts today- I can just see your big smile! We love you and miss you Pete!
Views: 605   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 11, 2005 7:19am
by Cindy Newman
Pete
I sit here with tears streaming down my face..... My husband, Roger spent time in Corpus and then Pensacola in flight school with Pete. They shared an interest in motorcycles and of course flying. I'll never forget making the flight school graduation banners with...
Views: 624   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 28, 2005 5:08pm
by Remebering Pete
For Pete's sake
Mark, your note remembering Pete here on September 13 had been a very nice birthday surprise for me the day you wrote it. It's another one of the stories I love to hear about Pete. Just when I think maybe I've heard them all, there's another from someone like you who...
Views: 662   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 24, 2005 1:00pm
by Pete's mom
Remembering Pete
I just happened to come across this website. I wish I had seen it sooner. I have several memories of Pete, but one that I always find myself returning to. In January of 97, Randy Finn, Jed Wiseman, and I decided to forgo track season to try to run a marathon. Jed...
Views: 670   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 13, 2005 11:50am
by Mark Powell
Remembering Pete today
We just moved back to America and were thinking of all the wonderful friends we left behind in Sicily. Today I looked at the calander and felt a twinge in the pit of my stomach, and asked my husband,"Do you know what today is?" Chris paused, then whispered, "Of cours...
Views: 644   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 16, 2005 7:59pm
by Jeanette
Flag
As our flag is flying in our front yard this morning, and the kids are still asleep, I have the chance to reflect on the meaning of the holiday. Pete, you exemplify the meaning of the Fourth. Freedom comes at a cost. You and your family are never far from my mind, an...
Views: 693   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 4, 2005 9:08am
by Jeanette
I'm at a loss
I knew Pete when I was in Junior High School at Lakeside Jr High. We were good friends. He made me laugh all the time. I just found out today of Pete's passing. I remember him acting in plays. He loved being involved. His smile was infectious. I have often wondered...
Views: 672   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 17, 2005 3:15pm
by Jeanette Andresc...
g
G
when we meet Peter
Hello Pete. We have yet to meet eye to eye, though I have known of you for several years. I first learned of you through your sister Erin. You see Pete, I fell terribly in love with your sister Erin, the very first time I met her, and even harder still this last ti...
Views: 771   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 16, 2005 9:27pm
by G
Memorial Day
Thinking of you on Memorial Day, Pete. You are my hero.
Views: 667   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 30, 2005 4:58pm
by Jeanette Andresc...
April 15, 2005 Pete, yesterday I came across a picture that reminds me how fortunate I was to be a mother who was given a second chance. In the photograph, you sit on your beloved “cycle” and you wear the little red hard-hat (from a toy tool set) that...
Views: 721   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 19, 2005 10:45pm
by Pete's mom
Sky watching
When it came to family vacations, we were not known for organized packing or timely departures. We were usually at each other's throats prior to actually getting in the car, shutting the doors, and driving away. Nothing was especially different about the way we han...
Views: 654   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 19, 2005 10:28pm
by Pete's mom
Smiling
Pete, I really wish that I could stop thinking of you. When I think of you, I become so overwhelmed with grief for Alicia, Madeline, your parents, sisters, friends... I realize that I will never forget or stop thinking of you. I am sad that the world lost someone l...
Views: 1057   Replies: 3
Last Post: Apr 4, 2005 4:09pm
by Susan Ober
Forever young
Pete, At 1:04 pm I will light a candle in memory of the moment you emerged into this world twenty-nine years ago. The day you died you were twenty-seven years and 142 days old... just 22 days shy of how old I was when I had you. I marvel to think how accomplish...
Views: 791   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 24, 2005 4:56pm
by erin augusta obe...
Website Photos
There may be friends and family who check into this website today because of it being Pete's birthday. I want all of you to know that one of my next priorities will be to restore nearly all the photos that were here before they disappeared into Verizon's black hole....
Views: 634   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 24, 2005 3:15pm
by Pete's mom
My friend
I knew Pete for a year in seventh grade at Lakeside Junior High. We were in almost all the same classes and became great friends.I even knew Aaron, if it is the same Aaron who was the most popular guy at Montclair Elementary....Anyway, I have spent the last few years...
Views: 690   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 24, 2005 12:45pm
by Susan Ober
Relapse
Oh, Pete. You are more experienced at being where you are than the newest souls who have joined you in the same way. Embrace them... if that is part of what you can do. Remind them to linger as they are able around those who love them, to leave little signs and un...
Views: 715   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 24, 2005 10:05am
by Jeanette (Ward) ...
Thinking of you through the holidays
We just wanted to say hi to Alicia, Madeline, Susan, Vince, Marianne, and Erin. You all remain in our prayers and we hope you have a Merry Christmas. Give Madeline a big kiss from Brock. Take care and God bless.
Views: 646   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 9, 2004 5:01am
by Chris, Cheri and...
Veteran's Day
Tomorrow is Veteran's Day and I have been thinking of you, Pete! I have been thinking of how proud you were to serve your country and your absolute determination to do the best, to be the best in whatever you did, and I hope you know how proud we all were and contin...
Views: 690   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 11, 2004 4:57pm
by Pete's mom
"No Rest for the Wicked"!!
It has been much too long since I have written you here. It seems as though life has taken control of me as I have not been the shepherd of my own decisions. I have been busy being lost in the darkness of uncertainty; only faintly seeing the light toward which I move...
Views: 732   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 3, 2004 6:28pm
by Aaron Brickey
1 2
Free Forum powered by Bravenet