In Memory of Peter B. Ober

Please use this message forum to share your thoughts, memories, and stories about Pete.

In Memory of Peter B. Ober
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Childhood memories

Susan and Vince,

This is Bob and Sue's daughter, Katie. I'm not sure if this is the most appropriate way to send my sympathy, but it's the only way I know how.

I remember Peter. I remember him goofing around on Cannon Beach. I remember my parents driving him to summer camp- possibly on our way back to Oregon. I even think I may have had a crush on such an outgoing, funny boy at the age of what- 7 or 8?!

I recently visited Arlington cemetery for the 1st time this month (March 2006). I unfortunately did not have the chance to walk to his grave, but I did get the location to do so the next time I visit. Please know Peter and your family were in my thoughts.

Katie
email: dq4kt@yahoo.com

Re: Childhood memories

Katie,
I was so thrilled to see that you had written here. It has been nearly 19 years since our family last saw you. You can't imagine the sentimental journey my mind has traveled (remembering so much about your family) ever since I saw your note on this website. I look forward to writing to you by e-mail. There is so much I would like to tell you about your first mom and dad. They were great friends... and your mom was especially dear to me. There is so much that I'd like to tell you and your sister. I want to share pictures and stories... especially from that trip to Cannon Beach and the national park where we camped together one wonderful weekend. I'd also love to tell you about the evening I learned (to my great joy) that you were growing in your mother's delighted womb!

Your mother was so loving and proud of you girls. I remember how she once explained what YOU were like. She held in her hand an orange she had peeled, and she said:
"Katie's the kind of child who notices things; she's the kind of child who'll come to you and say 'Do you want to hear something that sounds like walking on leaves?' "
Then your mom tore the orange into two parting halves... just the way you had done for her. As we listened to the sections tearing, we heard: the sound of walking on leaves! But I felt as though I was also hearing the sound of a wonderful mother.

Katie, I have thought of you and Laura so much... It is so good to hear from you now, and there is so much more to say. I will write.

Next Wednesday, April 12... as always, I will remember Bob and Sue.

Re: Childhood memories

Susan,

So nice to hear from you! The little you shared means so much, especially since I happen to be 16 weeks pregnant with our first child. That is the one of the things I find hard- is not being able to ask my mom what it was like to be pregnant with me! I'm sure you're well aware how important the stories you share now and in the future with Maddie are.

I look forward to hearing more from you through email.

Love,
Katie