In Memory of Peter B. Ober

Please use this message forum to share your thoughts, memories, and stories about Pete.

In Memory of Peter B. Ober
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Never the Same River Twice

I became friends with Pete's sister, Marianne, while in college. I was drawn to Marianne because she could have fun in any situation and admired her capacity to speak intelligently about many topics while respecting different viewpoints.

Marianne's mom, MRS. OBER (ha! She always asked me to call her Susan and I always forgot), was my figure drawing classmate. Susan is an amazing artist with a gorgeous soul and an innate grace.

It was initially through these two women that I got my first glimpse into the amazing Ober family.

I got to know the entire family better as Marianne would often drop by the Ober's home in Orange Park with dorm friends in tow--me being one of them.

The term gracious gets thrown around a lot in the south . . . although I don't really consider Florida the south . . . but the Obers are TRULY a gracious family. Somehow they immediately make you feel like you belong. They are an open, loving family.

I check this site a few times a year. Always on this day. Today is like Heraclitus' river. I step into this particular river to remember Pete and his family. How today, six years ago, resonates the same but somehow differently in each of us. Every year I reflect on how well I live and how present I am with the people that I love. I think of Pete and ask myself have I been living my life like the adventure that it is?

I remember.

I remember Pete, Erin and Marianne just throwing down and wrestling in the family room, seemingly out of nowhere.

I remember intense conversations about women in the military. Though they got heated, love was present and there was agreement to disagree.

I remember going to an all-you-can-eat Mongolian BBQ with a group of people and how Pete challenged everyone to a meat eating contest.

I remember Mrs. Ober's amazing poppy seed cake and how we all devoured every morsel with complete glee.

I remember how all of the kids made sure they were home to eat dinner as a family and how they happily bantered and teased one another throughout the meal.

I remember going to DC with Marianne and a few of our friends to celebrate NYE. We had a fabulous time and I couldn't believe that after going to bed after 3 a.m. that we had to get up at 7 a.m. to drive to an Ober family gathering hours away.

We arrived to the New Year's Day fete -- a birthday celebration for Uncle LeRoy. Somehow, I forgot my pounding head and started dancing on the deck and thoroughly enjoyed meeting all of these amazing relatives! I remember Pete sitting with Uncle LeRoy deep in conversation - a calm spot in the midst of a flurry of activity.

I remember when I heard of Pete's death.

I remember him being larger than life with his big grin - and that Pete's name and "died" didn't even seem like they could possibly be in the same sentence.

I remember that my younger brother was in Italy when Pete died. I immediately e-mailed him and told him that I loved him. Amazingly, he was online at the same time and replied back, "I love you, too." Something we don't say nearly enough.

So, Mober and other dear Obers -- I am with you today in remembering and celebrating Pete's life.

Sending my love and prayers . . . Meg