In Memory of Peter B. Ober

Please use this message forum to share your thoughts, memories, and stories about Pete.

In Memory of Peter B. Ober
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
MCM

Today I found out that my expected goal of $1000 had been met for the Marine Corps Marathon. The donation was given by Rick Ryan, a person you never had the chance to meet. His generosity means so much to me...in fact, it reminds me of you. Your dedication to physical fitness is what inspired me to run this marathon. There is not a day that goes by that I do not still miss you and remember your unwavering desire to help others, even the ones you never had the chance to meet. I will be running for “Pete’s Sake”…a slogan created by your mom, Susan Ober, when she cheered me on during my first race (Army 10-Miler) in which I ran in your honor. I've got 26.2 miles to run on October 26th 2008 -- exactly 10 years after we were married (a day off calendar-wise but we were married on a Sunday so it feels like 10 years for me). I wish every day that you could be here with Madeline and I and I hope you will help give me the strength I will need to finish the Marine Corps Marathon. I love you Pete!

Re: Marine Corps Marathon

Alicia, the sign I held that day did indeed say “RUN, FOR PETE’S SAKE!” I don’t know whether I was more in awe that you were DOING the Army 10-Miler… or another thing: SOME PRETTY IMPECCABLE TIMING!

Madeline and I had tarried that morning. Unlike you, we did eat breakfast!… and then we made a sign for you (I think the other side said "YOU GO GIRL!"). As we hurried nearly a mile to find a good cheering spot at a bend near the end of the race, something told me we'd better get there fast. JUST as we got to the bend… amid a sea of faces and legs… we saw YOU and you saw US! It was a fact that seemed all the more improbable by the eon it took us to find you once you had crossed the finish line!

Now I am in awe again. It is hard for me to imagine how anyone trains and runs a marathon race, but I am so proud of you for doing it! In addition to the physical effort of training and running this endurance test, you are also raising money for the Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors (TAPS).

I am also in awe of Richard Ryan’s incredible generosity as a full sponsor for your endeavor. If I understand correctly, this is not the first time Mr. Ryan has committed his money and/or his legs toward the goal of honoring someone who has died in service to our country. In this Marine Corps Marathon his sponsorship honors Pete, Kevin Bianchi, and all the remembered heroes. (Mr. Ryan... should you read this... know that I am both touched and grateful for your support and the honor you pay to Pete and Kevin... and others you don't forget.)

For family and friends who come to this website, I want to provide a link to the web page for Alicia’s sponsorship goal, for it shows this tribute. It is:

http://TAPS.kintera.org/mcm2008/aliciaober?faf=1&e=1894111208

Some of you may have considered being a sponsor for Alicia, as I did. But since her goal has been met, I will instead help Madeline reach her fund-raising goal for the One-Mile Run. In case others of you want to help, I offer this link:

https://www.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=267369&supid=226677289

Check it out and you'll get to see a picture of Pete with Maddie that I had never seen… their last together!

Alicia, the coincidence of your running this marathon at the 10th anniversary of your marriage to Pete seems to me an appropriate tribute! Good luck with your training!