In Memory of Peter B. Ober

Please use this message forum to share your thoughts, memories, and stories about Pete.

In Memory of Peter B. Ober
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Memorial Day thoughts

Pete, for me every day is a memorial day; I don't say that because I think I am a good person, but because I miss you every day.
Nearly every day there is a point for me when I still want to cry as loud as I can, where no one can hear me but you: COME BACK!!!

You gave your life in service to your country, and that fact has changed forever my perspective of what Memorial Day means. At any sitting, I could write a diatribe addressing my own failure to understand how it is that mankind has never devised a more effective solution than war for addressing disagreements.

Today I will just say "thank you": to you Pete, and to Kevin, Brian and Sam who died with you; and to all the countless individuals who have given their lives in defense of freedoms that the rest of us enjoy. I also thank the men and women of the armed forces who continue to lay their lives on the line for us today and a lot of tomorrows. I wish them safety... and I wish my wishes could be true.

With love, your mom

Re: Memorial Day thoughts

Pete-
As been my family tradition since you passed away, my kids, husband and I think of you and display a flag in your honor on every holiday that celebrates American heroes.
This memorial day is a little bitter sweet as we have recently been dealt good news and bad news. Good news is that I am carrying our third child, quite by surprise. Bad news, my husband Len is on the list to go to Iraq (with the Army). It terrifies me everyday.
I am so in awe that men like you and Len are so willing to fight for a cause, and die for your country.
We now have three flags that we line our walk with, your name is displayed beside one. The other two are friends of my husband who met a similar fate in foreign countries and left behind so many loved ones.
YOU WILL NOT BE FORGOTTEN.
Not just because you were such an important friend to me, but because who you were and what you stood for. We keep your family in our prayers and you Pete in our hearts.
Thank you for your sacrifice.
All my love
Jeanette

Pete,
A great man was born on this day in 1736 who said, "give me liberty, or give me death." Your service and sacrifice stand among the great men of our country. Thinking of you today as always.

Les, I wonder how you know or remember that! The oldest celebrities my newspaper mentions for a birthday anniversary on May 29 are former baseball commissioner Fay Vincent and race car driver Al Unser, Sr.

Our family did grow up with a lot of appreciation for Patrick Henry, and he was in fact the subject of the first portrait I ever drew. (I copied it from Compton's Encyclopedia... less than 2 inches high, in pencil, on lined notebook paper. I was so proud of how good I thought it looked that I kept on drawing.)
Among the letters, diaries and clippings left by our father's family, I came across a published letter to the editor of the Richmond Times-Dispatch. It was written by your namesake (our grandfather) and he mentioned his great dismay that no American president had ever visited Patrick Henry's grave site ... something he deemed to be a serious oversight that could be rectified by a visit on the occasion of the 200th anniversary of Henry's birth. Hang in there for 30 more years and maybe you can be the one to get a president to visit for a 300 year celebration!

Jeannette, congratulations on your good news. We will have to keep a website watch for your new little one as well as for Katie's first child. I will tell you that I wish a 3rd child on anyone who is willing. I am sure there will be times of overwhelming emotions, with Len being slated for a tour in Iraq. I am terrified with you. It is much easier when we don't know who is wearing the uniforms and making the sacrifices... and yet today's military familys all brush up against the realities of war. You, Len and your family will stay in my prayers. Thank you for letting us know the good and the bad.

This week I have been flying a flag that was flown at a base in Baghdad and given to us by one of Pete's best friends. I don't fly it all the time because I don't want it to fade too quickly. When I do fly it, it is to honor two friends. (Stay safe where you are, WD... you are loved.)

Re: Army ten miler

Dear Susan: It was so nice to meet you, and to read about Peter, It remainded me of my son Michael, he was always smiling and asked me to take pictures and remember the smiles. I will send you via mail pictures of Mike, information he left behind on his computer, a letter from his brother (also in the military) and so many wonderful memories. Just like you, there are so many days I feel like screming "Mike come back, we miss you". The support of family, their children, the love of so many people and prayers to God to give us Hope, Faith and specially Love are the only things that keep us going. You will be on my prayers. All my love Marcela Rice.