In Memory of Peter B. Ober

Please use this message forum to share your thoughts, memories, and stories about Pete.

In Memory of Peter B. Ober
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Remembering Pete

I just happened to come across this website. I wish I had seen it sooner. I have several memories of Pete, but one that I always find myself returning to. In January of 97, Randy Finn, Jed Wiseman, and I decided to forgo track season to try to run a marathon. Jed was busy with Summerall Guard training, but one Friday around five, Randy and I set out for our last long training run before the race. We had hitched a ride in the back of a truck and were being driven out to Folly Island when we came up on Pete, out for a run himself. I don't know how far he was planning to go, but we asked him if he wanted to go with us and he hoped in without a second thought. That was Pete: always up for something, always smiling about it. We let him out somewhere past the Piggly Wiggly in James Island then rode on. Pete ran back, miles farther, I suspect, than he had intended. But that was Pete, too: if there was something to be done, it was to be done right, to be done harder and tougher and with more guts than 99% of the world could muster. I will always think of him jumping into the back of that truck, no worries, no complaints. That was Pete.