In Memory of Peter B. Ober

Please use this message forum to share your thoughts, memories, and stories about Pete.

In Memory of Peter B. Ober
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
For Pete's sake

Mark, your note remembering Pete here on September 13 had been a very nice birthday surprise for me the day you wrote it. It's another one of the stories I love to hear about Pete. Just when I think maybe I've heard them all, there's another from someone like you who takes the time to write. (My thanks... to you and everyone else who has written!) Now, having read your story again, I am realizing that today would make for a timely reply.

What remains of hurricane Wilma is bearing down on Miami as I write and I have been thinking of Catherine R., who is a law student there. I knew that she had been training to run in the Marine Corps Marathon that will take place on October 31 in Washington, D.C. But I just learned a couple of days ago that she wants to dedicate her effort to Pete... if we, his family, don't mind. Don't MIND?

Oh, Catherine... we are so touched that you would do this, for Pete's sake! I can't imagine how anyone gets through a marathon, but you already know you can run 20 miles (in Miami heat?)... so with cooler weather in DC, you will surely meet this challenge. I trust Pete to be there in spirit with you. He would feel so honored to know that you will be wearing his name and picture as you run this event.

Catherine... thank you for also wearing the names of Cdr. Kevin Bianchi, AMS1 Brian Gibson and AE3 Sam Cox. They, too, died on that "routine training mission" in Sicily... serving their country with Pete. Good luck to you and Godspeed.