In Memory of Peter B. Ober

Please use this message forum to share your thoughts, memories, and stories about Pete.

In Memory of Peter B. Ober
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Veteran's Day

Tomorrow is Veteran's Day and I have been thinking of you Pete and all the other veterans we owe so much to. Please remember we deeply honor you, we sorely miss you, and we dearly love you Pete-
Cindy

Veteran's Day... after the parade

Cindy, thank you so much for writing. You are not alone to be remembering Pete... and Chaz... and other veterans who have been willing to risk their lives for the rest of us.

It is a day of great sobriety for me as I reflect with gratitude to those who have been willing to lay their lives on the line. Some, like Pete, Kevin Bianchi, Brian Gibson, and Sam Cox, have given the "the last full measure" in service to their country. They, like Patrick Myrick and the 3 who died with him on Kita Iwo Jima (August 10. 2004), are not counted among the toll of war... but that is an irrelevant fact to me. Gentle men, I thank you.

At the Army 10-Miler held in Washington, DC on October 8, Alicia ran along with other wives she had "met" over the internet through the organization "Gold Star Wives". I was there also, though my job that weekend was to form a 2-person cheering team with Madeline. We met the wives, several children, and one of the mothers (Marcella!) of a few of the heroes who have given their lives in military service since the war in Afghanistan began October 7, 2001. The more I know of the men and women who have given their lives, the harder it is on my heart. But I feel the least I can do for them is to be willing to know who they were, and who they still ARE to those who miss and love them. Marcella, to your son Michael... and to the others we learned about that day... I say "thank you".

I am grateful to Pete's friends who have served... or are still serving (and some have written here in this website). I am grateful to the husband of Pete's childhood friend, Jeanette, who may be in harm's way now. I pray for his safety... and the safety of others who are making the risk for us even as I write. Woody... Dan... and the "unnamed soldier" whose name I know as well as my own child's but can't call forth this minute... I thank you.

Pete's uncle and dad both had military careers... willing to do what was asked of them, even as they ended up havin the "safe, cushy job" that Pete felt HE had. Les and Vince... thank you.

Pete's cousin's husband served at risk with the peace-keeping efforts in Bosnia and has continued to serve as a reservist. Joseph... I thank you.

Veteran's Day will never again be a "thoughtless nother day" for me. As a day for particular reflection, my gratitude to all who have served is almost overwhelming. I thank you all.

Veteran's Day... oversight

Vince and I were listening to live music last night, but my mind... part of the time... was back here. I kept thinking of the names I DIDN'T put here... an endless list, of course.

Jed... how could I have failed to type in your name? You were one of Pete's personal heroes; he was amazed by your tenacity and you inspired him to try harder.

Lewis and Ashton... you did what was required of you during an era of the draft, and not everyone did answer that call. We as a nation owe our vets. But also, vets owe vets; and I think Pete would appreciate me thanking you, not only for your service, but for the investment you have made in his little girl's future.

Jim... my friend from home and a retired Navy helicopter pilot, and Jeff (also a helo pilot) and reservist Navy doctor Marcia were all part of our family's own "special forces unit," helping us after Pete died.

I am not going to keep naming names at this time, because I am realizing that to do so is like education (the more you learn, the less you know)... the more I try to thank every veteran I know, the more I realize I am leaving out. But here I make

AN INVITATION:

to others who come here and read this... NAME THE VETERANS YOU THANK... and if you care to, why... please.