In Memory of Peter B. Ober

Please use this message forum to share your thoughts, memories, and stories about Pete.

In Memory of Peter B. Ober
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fatherhood for you

Pete,
It's the 7th anniversary of your little girl's birthday... a life-changing event for you. My respect for you increased as I began to see this little girl help to carve away at your own self-centeredness. I think we all tend to grow up feeling we're the center of the universe until (and unless) something happens to change that. For you, I think, it was Maddie who helped bring about some change.

When she could have slept through the night (but didn't) you helped solve the problem (eventually) by being the one to go to her when she'd awaken in the dark. You'd hold her, love her, and whisper pretty things to "Miss Madeline". But you didn't have what she was used to getting from Mommy, so pretty soon she realized "if that's all there is... then let's keep sleeping". When I heard about this, I wasn’t surprised that it worked. But I was amazed that YOU… who so loved your own sleep… would awaken to your baby's cry and be the one to give your beautiful, tired wife an opportunity to rest!

As Maddie grew, you learned not to eat the last of the cantaloupe… and probably some other things you loved that she loved , too. (Oreo Cookies ‘n’ cream ice cream?) I don’t know that it was unselfishness which led you to spend time playing with her and reading to her… because I think you really did enjoy doing things with her. On your last day alive on this earth you were both looking forward to riding bikes when you got home from work.

Pete, it was always fun to hear you say, "Mom, Dad… I just LOVE that LITTLE GIRL!" You showed in so many ways the proof of your words. Now there is another young man who brings love into the lives of Maddie and Alicia. Did you have something to do with choosing him, Pete? When I see them all together, I sense that you are smiling. If you were alive, I'm pretty sure you'd never stand for having this very likeable guy become such an important part of their lives... but instead it feels more like you played a part. You were a wonderful father and I wish you could have lived to play with your grandchildren. But it is surely reassuring to know that your daughter continues to grow up surrounded by caring love.

Pete,I love you still...
your mom