In Memory of Peter B. Ober

Please use this message forum to share your thoughts, memories, and stories about Pete.

In Memory of Peter B. Ober
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
when we meet Peter

Hello Pete. We have yet to meet eye to eye, though I have known of you for several years.
I first learned of you through your sister Erin.
You see Pete, I fell terribly in love with your sister Erin, the very first time I met her, and even harder still this last time I was blessed with her presence, and allowed to share space with her.
I keep telling myself to stay "on point" in writing this to you, but to do so, I have to speak about your sister Erin to you. It was through Erin's eye's I learned who you were...no...who you ARE. The love that Erin feels for you is beyond words, it is in her every breath when she speaks of you. What a great soul you are Peter Ober.
I met Erin after a horrible tragedy in my life. Someone I loved dearly was raped at a huge festival in Nevada, and after this event, my life was not to be the same. You could say that spiritual matters have taken on a whole new meaning in ways I just could not have ever imagined. My life has been a series of odd tales, and your story has added a new dimension. When Erin first told me about you, that you were an officer (have I ever met one I liked?) and a helicopter pilot, I still recall the jealousy that tickled my gut. I am prior service also, but unlike you, I was enlisted, and a low dog in the military pound. I served in the Marine Corp in the mid 80's. The Marines knew just what to do with a disaffected youth that I was, and promptly put me behind a gun. But what I wanted more than water, was to fly helicopters. **** Pete, you really did it man. That is a goal many aspire for, and few attain. I'm proud to just know your sister Pete, I would have been honored to have met you.
Well for many reasons Erin and I did not stay in contact. Until that is one day several months back that i was driving around Seattle with my dogs in tow, when I saw a woman that was radiating like a sun. I drove by, but for some reason couldn't stop thinking about the woman. I even asked myself aloud "was that Erin?" 12 blocks on I couldn't take the curiosity, and the nagging brain activity I call my gut instinct, I turned around and parked.
As I walked toward the woman, who was still seated in the same spot, I can still feel the butterflies as I approached.
It was Erin Ober. After our initial "How the hell are you", we walked, and she told me with such a heavy heart about what happened to you Pete.
Since that day, I was blessed to spend some good talks and walks with your sister.
I sat one eve at a park that overlooks Seattle, your sister on my shoulders (she hopped on after sitting a top a huge concrete camel at the museum) and I prayed silently to you. I thought to myself "God Peter, I wish right now you could sit here in my shell, and feel the evening air, your sister on these shoulders one last time, and the love she vibrates toward you like sunshine" I don't know that you heard or felt my silent prayer, but my gut tells me you did.
Peter, if I could, I would trade places with you in a heart beat.
If I could bring your presence back to Erin, your sister Marianne, your wife and daughter, your mother and father I would. The love that your family feels for you is so wonderful, so beautiful, it defies words to describe it. I wish I could meet you Peter, shake your hand, tell you what a wonderful woman your sister is, whisper in your ear that I love her like sunshine, and tell you how special you have been to her.
I wish that you and I could go for a run together.
I wish I could have been up there in the big blue with you Peter.
One day Pete.
When I pass this place, I hope your energy has not yet moved on, it would be such an honor to look you in the eye and shake your hand Peter.
Though we have yet to meet, you have had such a massive impact on my soul.
I have done several runs these past months, your picture in my pocket, hoping you enjoy the ride, and are right there by my side, stride for stride.
If you ever need anything from me Peter all you need do is ask me in my dreams.
My left hand and right hand are there for you brother.
My heart however is your sisters.
Till we meet eye to eye, soul to soul.

blessings,

Greg Brennan