Golden Retrievers in Cyberspace / Goldentown Forum

Welcome! We hope this forum will turn into a wonderful place to exchange information about our favorite companions - golden retrievers! If at any time you have questions regarding this forum please drop me an email at bward5@mac.com I will respond as quickly as I can. Enjoy!!! Bill

Golden Retrievers in Cyberspace / Goldentown Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Hot Spot?

My vet has also given me Gentocin(sp) and have found it to be pretty effective for my guy Jake.
As for whether or not to "cover" the area... that is a tough one, my vet usually doesn't recommend it because the air can help it dry out. Of course that also means that your Stanley can get to it, which isn't going to help it heal.
When Jake's had bad spots, I have had to employ the dreaded lampshade(along w/ other treatments) around his head to prevent him from licking, but a few days with that is better than him being miserable for much longer.

Good luck.

I'm not an expert on hotspots, but I generally clip away hair if necessary, clean the area with hydrogen peroxide (which also helps the hot spot dry out), pat it dry & then powder with Neo-Predef with Tetracaine Powder (ingredients: neomycin sulfate, isoflupredone acetate, & tetracaine HCl)from the vet. If on the leg, I usually try (sock or huge piece of gauze) to loosely cover the area. If the hot spot is from scratching, I'll frequently "double sock" the offending scratcher. Hope that helps someone!
Fidele, Belle & Cedar

I have had luck with cleaning the hot spot and cutting away hair, then applying a mixture of cortisone cream mixed with Neosporin w/PAIN RELIEF.
After applying, we watch her closely for about 1/2 hour, by then the Neosporin has numbed the area and then we put a sock or gauze pad on. Usually have to do this 2-3x a day. The cortisone helps heal and the Neosporin relieves itching. Works pretty good unless hot spot is severe and it is amazing how quickly they can get bad. Good luck