Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Crimean French Infantry!

Hi Mike,

better to convert the British Grenadiers into Union troops.

As for the French, I am happy to use them for 1870 with the Jakatan.

For the Crimea I hoped for the old shako worn at the Alma.

cheers
uwe

Hi Mike,
Apart from the epaulettes, I can't see why not. At this scale, any other minor uniform discrepancies don't really matter and can be concealed by a decent paint job. Some of mine will see action in the ACW, with other sets facing the Prussian Landser.

Hi Mile, Yes is a very interesting time french towards ACW time. I hope to see some stirring command
figures for these and French CW Artillery (the majority of artillery in cw allies...)

I am hoping so much almost as much as i did for CW Turks for CW french Artillery.

They won't work for ACW -- no troops on either side of the conflict wore their greatcoats in the French manner, with the skirts turned back, and the American greatcoats didn't have epaulettes. Given the differences in greatcoat cut and style and the subtle differences in kepis worn by ACW units versus the French style, I don't think any of the 19th century French sets on the market work as ACW troops. These guys are much more at home in the Mexican intervention, Italy in 1859 (if anyone can ever produce a decent set of Austrians for them to fight) and against the Germans in 1870.

No, Samogon, NOT 1859. Mexico yes, later yes.

Sword Bayonet (Yataghan, Jatagan) not used (at least en masse in 1859)

The EMHAR kits are excellent. I recommend them highly.

That kit works for ALL the wars.

Not to mention the ACW infantry overcoats had standing collar and a non-removable, elbow length cape!

Samogon
They won't work for ACW -- no troops on either side of the conflict wore their greatcoats in the French manner, with the skirts turned back, and the American greatcoats didn't have epaulettes. Given the differences in greatcoat cut and style and the subtle differences in kepis worn by ACW units versus the French style, I don't think any of the 19th century French sets on the market work as ACW troops. These guys are much more at home in the Mexican intervention, Italy in 1859 (if anyone can ever produce a decent set of Austrians for them to fight) and against the Germans in 1870.