Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
The Strelets Jacobite sets 1&2 - sprue observations

Dear Streletsians

Interesting discussions on the Jacobites and the poses etc but I wanted to remark on the actual sprues.

The Jacobite sprues' designs look different to Strelets' sprues which if anything are consistent and characterised by the huge diameter tertiary runners(even a single one) to the figures. The weapons and extremities are fed by an equally thick runner. Generally there is an absence of flash on Strelets sprues in marked contrast to the Jacobite 1 and 2 sprues which look a bit like Orion or RedBox sprues and the horse particularly has a lot of flash.

The photos and the colour of the plastic make it difficult to work out the level of detail on the figures. The weapons seem to suffer especially some of the muskets from being at the end without a runner to feed the plastic. Strelets chunky sprues provide excellent detail along the whole of the figure.

The sprues and moulding seem to be not up to Strelets' usual high standards. Set 002 is a superb set and seemed to justify the use of that design of sprue from 2003? onwards. Strelets figures are difficult to cut off the sprues but the benefits of crisp moulding outweigh that slight inconvenience.

Maybe there is a story behind these Jacobite figures as there are no master figure pics to accompany them.

David

Re: The Strelets Jacobite sets 1&2 - sprue observations

As i say i smell Waterloo 1815 Hat maybe they decide not to release and strelets say they sell them

how you like my new flag i got it yesterday in LA ?

Yes they do look more like Orion or Redbox rather than Strelets. Certainly not Waterloo 1815.

I'm pretty sure its redbox. Although I like the poses, the sculpting wasn't so impressive at first look. So I zoomed on this pictures a bit and after second look at them, I think these figures aren't that bad at all...OK some strange firing poses in set 1 and some figures looking better than others, but the set 2 is becoming more and more appealing...I hope we are going to see some opponents fot them.

PS

Would some of these work for the F&IW?

Re: The Strelets Jacobite sets 1&2 - another 2pworth

Dear all
The poses seem to come in the main from Osprey's Highland Clansmen including the Penicuik artist's work in black and white - not a bad thing on the whole.
The figures look well posed but if the flash is like some from the companies I have mentioned then this will be a backward step for Strelets. If nicely sculpted figures come out looking like a Medardo Rosso* impressionist sculpture then that seems a shame when the technical side should not be a problem. I don't know what the arguments are for not having runners the size of Strelets "tree trunks" but if they work well why change them?

David

*Medardo Rosso - I admire his sculpture but not for 1/72nd scale figures see:

Gli Innamorati sotto al lampione

Re: The Strelets Jacobite sets 1&2 - another 2pworth

Maybe this are just test sprues...well Strelets, any comments?