Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
light infantry/company

Dear Crimean fans

These look like skirmishers of a light company or they could be the Rifle Brigade but no different to other British line infantry. The Light division was light in name only and like any other British infantry division. The Minie meant that all infantry were trained as skirmishers and to fire at long ranges, etc. The prone position seems possible but not typical, certainly not in the manual but improvisation seemed to work at the Battle of the Alma so who knows.
The Albert shako was cylindrical and did not taper to the top ( it did actually by a quarter of an inch) as some figures' hats seem to (could be the photo angle) though a much better crown height than the previous British Infantry set. The backpack is crucial for the battle of Alma as this should be the blanket roll backpack not the Trotter, see my figures:
http://www.strelets-r.com/Contrib/C0046/Page.html

There is also a pic of a Rifle Brigade conversion for those new to the game. The green is a very dark green not emerald green. That page also gives you a flag and the facing colours.

These new Strelets figures look like a great addition.

David

Re: light infantry/company

I just wonder how widespread and feasible prone firing positions were with muzzle-loading rifles in the 1850s? I'm no expert on the Crimean War, but I do know that prone firing with muzzle-loaders was practically impossible during the American Civil War less than 10 years later, unless the muzzle loader was propped on some kind of flat and hard surface (like a pack -- and accuracy was dubious even then). I don't think that prone firing became popular until the spread of breech-loading rifles beginning in the latter part of the 1860s.

prone firing

Dear Samogon

To reload they would roll onto their back to get the rifle in a good position and then back again to get the cartridge like the figure bottom 3rd from right and so forth.

The procedure from the normal standing position is on this web site:

http://www.militaryheritage.com/enfield1853.htm

To carry out all these procedures and maintain reasonable safety (different if you were as one of a pair and relatively isolated) would be difficult in a prone position. The rifle could be loaded kneeling or sitting then the cap and full **** procedures done in the prone position. Skirmishers ( more like snipers) often worked in pairs at Sebastopol, so one kneeling and one prone resting against sand bags(like tiny redoubts or sangars) is a possibility. These would be maintaining the outposts and preventing small scale incursions which was a constant feature of the Crimean war once the siege had been established. Several of the other figures also look ideal for this role.

David

silly asterisks

Dear Samogon and others

The missing word is the male bird = c**k and also the process of loading the rifle ie to c**k the weapon rhymes with lock
David

Re: Re: light infantry/company

As David says, prone firing was done by skirmishers in the Crimea and ACW, and accuracy was never an issue - aside from the dense smoke raised by firing black powder weapons. Indeed, firing prone only increased accuracy; the major drawback is, reloading in this position slows your rate of fire way down to about one round a minute or less, particularly if you have to force the bullet down a rapidly fouling barrel, which is why skirmish drill involved groups of four men, working in pairs, and kneeling behind whatever cover was available was preferred over prone shooting