Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Bashi-Bazouks

I look all over ebay and yahoo and find no african/egyptian/turkish/Indian HO colonial era figures FOR Railways .Despite so many being made ...and soem even still used in shunting yard today.All i find is hard plastic/resin khaftan arabs verty cheap but looks okay.

Hat make Gatling nordenfelt set looks very good. So would Bashi Bazouk set as complimentary .Then we can use as Turkish Irregulars ,Gordon sudan Irregular,even crimea war,versatile set. RT Wars as rebels.

Re: Bashi-Bazouks

Excellent idea Hank.
They were with Hicks Pasha when he persued the Mahdis men into the desert and were wiped out along with Hicks.
They fought on both sides during the Crimean War and were involved in the Turkish Russian War of 1877.
They were combatants in the First World War and through-out those conflicts their dress remained much the same only the armament changed.

Maybe these could be your new Crimean Turkish Infantry ?
I shall campaign with you
Good luck

Re: Re: Bashi-Bazouks

Dear Hank & Murat

last August I wrote

"Turkish artillery would be useful especially for Kars and Bashi Bazouks could be used for lots of other conflicts in that part of the world.
Yes you are right. Other than field artillery and Italeri/Esci and Emhar do that, the Russians are quite complete. It is a magnificent series.
Emhar do the French infantry but when I look at them I think they are more 1871 than 1854 but with Enrico Ricciardi type modifications (beards and volumising) they look good.
So:
Russia - almost complete
Britain - greatcoats infantry and artillery needed
French - artillery needed
Turks - artillery, Bashi Bazouks needed
Sardinia- everything needed

Then for maybe the first time in the history of plastic 1/72 scale figures there will be some semblance of a range similar to the ones you get in white metal (eg -Wargames Foundry)."
--
& they all look similar - no giants, no weird sculpting styles, same plastic, same sized boxes, no compatibility problems. I look forward to seeing the Crimean War range completed in 2009.

David

Re: Re: Re: Bashi-Bazouks

Hi Murat ,Professori, David, Yes David i recall taht very clealy and no other manufacturer can match teh oriental/ottoman look that Strelets gets with figures.
I wil gladly petition for Bashi Bazouks i gueess they would interst Hat colelctors also as they are in Sudan revival wil the release of nordenfelt set etc.

I see Hicks Pasha as a personal issue.As is Gordon of Khartoum.Bth very brave men .I love THE BOOK"Letters form Khartoum" by Frank Powers.I often wonder why Austrian Consul Martin Hansall never got much accliam.he died with Gordon.

Buy the gods it has been a long month and i am getting anxious. I have my diorama assembled ,ready another battle mat purchased ,but i need to buy some modellng clay to merge to a more authentic redoubt to mould around my shelf bought resin trenches and barrels etc etc.

Tomorrow i will start painting and basing my CW Russians as i hope it will take me that long beofe the Turks reach these shores. Yes what a glorious range of figures .Bashi-bazouks. would be as tehy say ,Awesome.

I'm lookinga t my watch what a drag of a month,..its killing me..

Re: Re: Re: Bashi-Bazouks

Over time I've gotten quite excited about the propects of having a whole Turkish army done by Strelets myself. I would always support your efforts in trying to pursuade Strelets to do so :-) and I agree, nobody could do the job right but Strelets.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Bashi-Bazouks

Jan,No I do not persuade strelets they are their own people.I am a big moaner. But i think they relaize Turkey wsa main opponent for many years so smart thyey make turks,and how very well they look also.MANY OTHER lesser manufavturers who made CW before ignore the massive ottoman army.

I wonder iF S-R have perhaps done some test figures of the dreaded hated bashi Bazouks.(.Before we knew of no WW1 cavalry then the stampede came they must have already been dobe. )Again we will see.
But it makes sense to have the bashi's.A few as irregular cavalry perhaps. 2009 wow we are really talking CW Turk/

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bashi-Bazouks

And what about the Greek volunteers units in fustanella who fought alonside the Russian army ?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bashi-Bazouks

The Greeks...well any NEW set from the mid to late Eastern Europ/Orient Middle East North Africa would be astounding. I only know of one other who want greeks.

When i balance teh CW figures first I look at pan hobby 1/72 .Then Strelets CW range.

Allied Artillery is the Biggest Gap. French had more guns than teh british .A set with 2 french crews 1 british 1 turkish plus 4 limbers and 4 caisson would be ideal.

We do not need limber horses etc as we can poach from other sets just give us the raw materials..

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bashi-Bazouks

Hi Hank,

and what about the regular Turkish cavalry?

Ral Partha made two Bashi-Bazouks for their British colonial range when they made Hick's troops. They could work.

A whole set from Strelets - let's say exotics of the war (irregulars from both sides, the Greeks, allied Navies, siege artillery etc.) would be nice.

cheers
Uwe