Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Thin Red Line Box

Not sure where you get your info but there was the 93rd Highlanders, some Turks & Royal Marines.The firing line was 2 deep although the depiction shows 4 being the correct number to face a cavalry charge.The Russian Cavalry was repulsed after 3 volleys with light casualties. Given the small number infantry it what amounted to a skirmish line the Russians thought a bigger force behind and retreated.

Re: Re: Thin Red Line Box

4 turk battalions in forward redoubts face a whole russian corps ,the heavy cavalry squadrons with Lord Scarlett decided it was time for returning to the mess with his two heavy squadrons , going back to cavalry quarters in time for for toast and marmalade.

teh artillery guns in the redoubts were sent wrong ammunition and given dubious functioning guns from brittish ,so no effective local support. turks thrown under a horse drawn bus.

Whole allied army caught sleeping while clever rouskies over run redoubts one by one.wise turks say no reinforcements coming no cavalry support no artillery support no ammunition left ,(scarlet getting indegestion).turks independent withdraw to the allied lines.15 minutes allied defense line ready,mounted.alarm reaches balaclava.

brave red fez line forms from redoubt survivors, near railed road channel point meet the hospital(93 logistic duties arrive )coming up hill and composite invalids /volunteers to relieve them.turks reorganise ,

rouskie hussars charge but confronted with spontaneous gun line at kadikoi gordons hill,big navy guns try find range opening up and 93 and turk volleys.

rouskies right wheel sensing fear of dead ground concealing more infantry.

no turk ammo brought up from balaclava,retire to kadikoi to resupply and defend stores staged in warehouses.turks save the day and help finish breakfast.

Re: Re: Re: Thin Red Line Box

Dear Stephen and Hank

The Russian Cavalry(Hussars) were in danger of over extending themselves without infantry support. They were coming into range of a battery firing grape and the Sutherland Highlanders (93rd) showed they were going to pour volleys into them. The Turks and scratch units were on the flanks of the Highlanders and behind the Highlanders was a redoubt and not far to the left was d'Allonville's force of Turks and Chasseurs d'Afrique c 1,200 men. The Russians apparently wheeled to their left to outflank the Highlanders and miss the rising land but then saw Barker's artillery. Rhyzov's cavalry more or less moved in a large anti clockwise circle returning to the Woronzov road their start point. Royal Marines and 2 companies of the 93rd Highlanders were in entrenchments on the heights by Balaclava about 1,200 men so the Russian cavalry could have easily ridden into a disaster.
Highland regiments were very newsworthy for a variety of reasons so this action was quickly immortalised as a defiant struggle against overwhelming odds.
BTW all accounts say the firing line was two deep so Stephen is correct and the box art is wrong.

David

Re: Re: Re: Re: Thin Red Line Box

Thankyou David for your precise and iluminating response

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Thin Red Line Box

hey professori, i almost like my version better.Today i based my "rediff" Turks, Another week i will have a mighty camera that makes the picture into data.I think you will understand teh composition when you see its results.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Thin Red Line Box

Dear Hank

25th October 1854

0600 Russians open fire on No1 redoubt
0730 No1 redoubt falls
0745 Redoubts 2-4 abandoned
0900 Thin Red Line
0915 Charge of the Heavy Brigade
1100 Charge of the Light Brigade
1120 Charge of Light Brigade ends

All over before mid day. Setting up the figures for the Red Line would probably take a thousand times longer than the actual battle. Apart from the Turks in No 1 redoubt, a remarkable defence of one and a half hours, the other two battles were of short duration as well. Posterity tends to give a different slant on this. Inkerman (Nov 5 1854) is the real decisive battle and the British faced odds of five to one and won - a real thin line of red though most wore grey greatcoats. The Thin Red line when examined was not that thin and they in fact outnumbered the attacking cavalry when the scratch units, the Turks and British artillery are taken into consideration. Russian intelligence before the battle mentioned that there was a large contingent of Tunisians (Ottoman Empire) in the redoubts.

David

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Thin Red Line Box

I have also based today some B&B figures as tunisians.When i get my little diorama done .I will be able to start modifications.

Hopefully CW Turks will be in mini or s-r box also.I need 3 divisions 8 battalions each.100 figures per battalion i hope for 2 divisions ,so is still mystery days to go in this month.Also artillety conversions and cavalry converts.Is a pressure job. But beauty is ,when its done it will improve along teh structure lines i make now.

okay time to cut cocktail sticks and then super glue and mold some milliput .Day was 85 dwegree which was starting tp thickening paint.So must paint at night which is not great but cool enough .

Okay i hope to give you good laugh next week
have fun