Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: For David O'Brien and Head for the guns Hank

Dear all

Re 8th hussars

"Early in March of 1854 the regiment had assembled at Exeter and was formed into six service troops and two light (Depot) troops. The latter, shortly after the 8th had sailed, were removed to Newbridge Barracks in Ireland, where they remained throughout the war.

The establishment at the commencement of hostilities was 336 men and 371 horses. The order was to take abroad 295 men and 250 horses and under the circumstances even the band was broken up and put into the ranks. Even then the requisite number could not be made up. Young horses were exchanged for seasoned ones from the 3rd Light Dragoons, then also at Exeter, and the final figure which embarked upon the five large sailing ships provided, comprised 20 officers and 293 other ranks. The men were ordered not to take shabraques and white covers for peaks for the busbies and forage caps were issued.

The ships provided exclusive accommodation for the regiment, the horses all being carried below decks in the holds. The first three ships, the Echunga, Mary Anne and the Shooting Star, sailed from Plymouth on the 19th, 21st and the 24th of April, and all three arrived at Constantinople on the 20th of May. On arrival, these men were under the command of Major de Salis and here they found the 17th Lancers, who had sailed from Southampton a few days before the 8th."

My guess is they went to Plymouth by train and would have trooped past my house or near to it (as it wasn't built then). The Higher Barracks in Exeter was a purpose built cavalry barracks and I am pretty certain they would have been based there and it is also close to the railway station. The journey by train would have taken nearly 3 hours then though it could be longer. If anyone has details of them trudging over Dartmoor or going by road then I stand corrected.There is probably some dusty ledger in the Great Western Railway Museum at Swindon that has details of the journey/s.

For Massimo

"A dog belonging to the 8th, a rough-haired terrier named Jenny, went all through the charge of the Light Brigade, where she was wounded by a splinter of shell in the neck. She returned to England with the regiment and at Dundalk Colonel de Salis gave her the collar which is still in the Officer's mess."

So a dog should be in your scene. It sounds like a smallish dog and also like the kind of thing they would put in a Hollywood film for sentimental value. BTW the "splinter of shell" is interesting as I thought most of the artillery projectiles were round shot or grape shot. The "left and right of them" cannons could have used shells.

David

Re: Re: Re: Re: For David O'Brien and Head for the guns Hank

Yes David, it is so good to read all the peripheral detail.I read today Mdme.Duberleys book(online) which was teh goldmine of information in descriptive.plenty about camp life/ship life day to day problem and lucky she was able to meander amongst the positions of French, brittish Turkish Sardinian(bands more bands ...we have missing is big pity).

http://www.silverwhistle.co.uk/
(thankyou to these people for such a good source of information putting online.)

Must be so many records hidden away in old museums Mr David that would fascinate many of us.I read too Mdme Duberleys observatuion ,taht an American Transport ship bring a French Battalion to balaclava with much interest of their "newtral" invovement.
have fun

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: For David O'Brien and Head for the guns Hank

thanks for the notice of the dog Jenny , sure i make this mitic dog when i will make the 8° Hussar togheter whit private O'Brien (David).
For Uwe : I want to make the last 200 about 100 meter of the charge , i think have to made 300 pieces different . ALL REGIMENT , Two italian voulunters and certelly the DOG.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: For David O'Brien and Head for the guns Hank

Hi Massimo,

I am happy to hear that you are planning the last part of the charge. How much do you want to go into deep on the Russian side (if you are planning the Russians too)? Just the artillery or the cavalry behind too?

With the Strelets- and Emhar-sets I thought about such a diorama too but it would have never been a match of your work, so I think I will have to change to the heavy brigade.

Good luck with your work, I am eager to see the final result!

cheers
Uwe