Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Research suggestion to Strelets

Dear Andreas

I think you are right. Maybe other companies could follow suit. I originally thought that's what the forums were set up to do as one of their functions.

David

Re: Research suggestion to Strelets

Toilet Inspector????

suggestions for TI

Dear Geoffrey

Terrified Infants or Tartar Interpreters - both sensible and good for the Crimean War.

David

Re: suggestions for TI

So how much would you guys pay to be a share holder if strelets floated company.Its a private company why do some treat liek its a coperative.

Funny when things come to money always teh people start running away from committment.

I really don't think historical accuracy is that big a seller

...and in some cases, a consensus on accuracy isn't truly possible.

Why is it the old ESCI, Atlantic and Airfix stuff are still such hot sellers? Just something else to think about.

I personally prefer my soldiers to be as uniform as possible within a set, with everything done up and tucked in, their gaiters on but their packs off (Vikings have horns too). And with good action posses to boot. That's far from accurate, but for me, those are the features that will sell any set in any era.

Re: I really don't think historical accuracy is that big a seller

you know me guys, historical correctness and regular poses are very important for me.

I would always be glad to help with advice, but the sculpter must take it. I am not talking about Strelets, but I know some sculptors who think they know everything and their only source is an Osprey with wrong paintings.

BTW Andrew, the old Airfix and Esci sets are often historical correct (not the French Napoleonic infantry).

cheers
Uwe

historical accuracy

Andrew,
with all due respect I think historical accuracey is a vital factor in designing 1/72 plastic figures.
At its most basic, a figure in correct historical garb won't offend those who don't care but the opposite will alienate those who do.
And where strict accuracy isn't possible (some Ancients?), a plausible effort is appreciated.
I am prepared to forgive the odd genuine mistake but I won't buy figures that are more fantasy than history.
donald

Re: I really don't think historical accuracy is that big a seller

Different companies have different policies.

In the case of HaT, for example, I notice that numerous time HaT asks for suggestions and comments from their Forum regarding certain masters. Also, numerous time this results in some corrections/improvement/changes in the sculpting or pose selection. I believe HaT's products certainly benefit from this practice, otherwise HaT would not have done so.

On the other hand, Strelets never make any change to its masters even if the Forum find some mistakes or certain odd poses. Having set 902 Heavy Brigade almost solely based on Roger Fenton's photograph, for instant, maybe a bit strange for some of us. However, Strelet's masters are pretty much the end products. This is probably due to the different way Strelets manufactures its figures.

Anyway, the idea is to improve the masters so that any single figure produced is useful and not wasted because of mistakes that can be easily avoided. And while Strelet's Forum is very much alive in discussion, the company should take benefit from it - IMHO.

Re: Re: I really don't think historical accuracy is that big a seller

Thats wrong,
they told us that they change the masters of the dacian cavalry with the riders wielding two-handed weapons...
On the other hand I'm very disappointed of the french marching infantry with all the muskets on the right shoulder. Thats a reason for me not to buy this set.

Re: Re: Re: I really don't think historical accuracy is that big a seller

Dear AT and others

Is historical accuracy a big seller? I don't know is the safe answer as there is nothing as strange as folk. "Big seller" has to defined or narrowed down to its target group of hobbyists then it seems obvious that it is a value added factor. If not I would expect my Strelets, Hat or Zvezda figures to be about 50p a box.
Films and TV now go to great pains to get it historically right and they still upset tyros. "Atonement" had the wrong type of RT bus even though the colour scheme was right-it was a post war variety. A lot of people noticed it. I think we have developed a culture where we feel more satisfied or gratified if time and trouble has been lavished on getting it reasonably right. The "it" could be a book, a model, a museum exhibit, a re-enactor's costume and so on. I remember "The Sealed Knot" or the English Civil War society (don't want to get anyone rattled) in the seventies basically dressed in rugby shirts,track suit bottoms, long poles and any old musket. Compare that with now. I can't imagine anyone wanting to go back to those days although it probably does have its own nostalgia.
Basically we are what we are and most hobbyists pursue authenticity or insider knowledge as part of the attraction.

David

PS -The 1/72nd scale Dragon kit 7361 has German paratroopers modelled on actual photos in German archives and the tank "222" is correct for the scene even down to its lack of zimmerit. I find that very impressive. Jean Paul Pallud in his book "Battle of the Bulge" actually names some of the characters as well as finding the present day location of the place where the photo was taken in 1944 and that too is impressive. If few people buy either Jean Paul Pallud's book or the Dragon figures so what. I'm glad I did.

Well put

I'm not totaly against historic accuracy, it's just not the highest priority for me. I do like and expect sets that are as you said, reasonably accurate. If there is no room for artistic liberty, there should be at least be room, for some reasonable speculation or even some theory, on the part of the designers.

As for accuracy issues. There are the regualtion drills, arms, kit and gear, which is often well documented. There is also, how the reality of life on campaign, would make a soldier actually appear and behave. Both styles would seem to be equally accurate, but each would make for a very different style of set.

Re: Re: Re: I really don't think historical accuracy is that big a seller

Dear holger:

Exactly. The issue of the French marching infantry with muskets on the right is one particular example why I brought up the subject. However, I don't believe Strelets will change any of the pose, based on my own observasion. I do hope I am wrong.. but I dont put my hope that high, to be honest..

So both of us may have to say goodbye to those marching frenchmen even before they are produced... what a pity..

Re: Re: Re: Re: I really don't think historical accuracy is that big a seller

I think Strelets is not out to sell huge numbers these days. They make 2,000 something sets and I don't doubt that 2,000 sets of marching French troops will sell out within less than 2 years, muskets on the right shoulder or muskets on the left shoulder...

Otherwise I'm sure that Strelets is listening and will consider changes for the next marching set, perhaps marching Russian troops in Winter uniform.