Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Roman legionaries before battle

Dear Strelets,

now I know how to cover the empty space behind the fighting cohorts on my actual diorama at home

cheers
Uwe

Re: Roman legionaries before battle

Dear Uwe,

when we devised this set the thinking behind was that so far there are virtually no figures to represent reserve formations of the Romans whereas at any given time of a battle only part of the army was involved in actual fighting. So we thought that they can be useful for the diorama builders to beef up the rear ranks.
We also believe that they can be useful for the role of the guard duties, etc. for our camp set.

Best regards,

Strelets

Re: Re: Roman legionaries before battle

Dear Strelets
I think this is an fabulous set and the thinking behind it excellent.
My first reaction was to think of these chaps on guard duty. I am more interested in creating dioramas than war gaming. However, there is phenomenal lack of stationary troops, even for war gamers.
For instance when creating Napoleonic armies there is a need for Fighting troops (attack and defence), Marching troops (advancing or en route), and Stationary troops (including on guard)
It would be wonderful if you could apply the idea of 'before the battle' troops to the Napoleonic era, after all, the Old Guard spent a lot of time standing still at many a battle.
Best regards
M.

Dear Stelets
You say the new romans will go well with your camp set, would you care to tell us some more about this camp set?

Re: Re: Roman legionaries before battle

Dear Noel,

we will be able to tell you more about it only when we will resolve the problem how to make a moat/wall combination in plastic.

Best regards,

Strelets

Re: Re: Re: Roman legionaries before battle

I like the poses, especially the guy adjusting his helmet straps. However, it's a pity the shields are too flat...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Roman legionaries before battle

Dear Mike,

Unfortunately we had to compromise on the shield in order to place all figures on one mold, otherwise we would have to make a separate mold for the shields.
In this case we would have been unable to have 48 figures in a box but only half of it.
Regards,

Strelets

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Roman legionaries before battle

Dear Strelets,

good to see that you are working on figures in reserve. As you say in all the battles of the past usually just a part of the soldiers fought, while others waited for their turn. So can I hope for more figures (infantry and cavalry) in a waiting position?

As for the shields, what would you think about producing some decail-sets?

cheers
Uwe

Re: Re: Re: Roman legionaries before battle

Did I read this correctly? Did you say moat/wall combination? Wow, you do listen. Diorama stuff, fortifications, etc. in soft plastic (please no resin) would be fantastic.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Roman legionaries before battle

I think this principle applies also to cavalry.

By and large mounted troops in any era spent most of their time watching the fighting while waiting for the order to intervene at a critical moment.

Would people prefer special sets with cavalry standing still, or a mixture of standing and charging poses in every mounted set?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Roman legionaries before battle

A 50/50 mix of standing and charging would be excellent.

Dear Strelets: thanks for your courteous reply to my grumpy nit-picking. I completely forgive you XXX