Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Is It True That All Roads Lead To Rome ... ???

As an American Yankee, it truly is my dream to some day visit Rome, Italy (as well as all of Europe).

Of course, I love my home town in the U.S., but Europe ... ???

Is it true that ... all roads lead to Rome ... or where should I add to my "Must See" itinerary ... ?

Cheers to my global Mates !!!

Happy Collecting!

Re: Is It True That All Roads Lead To Rome ... ???

Hi Dave,
Come to Glasgow. Despite its fearsome reputation, it's my home town and a truly friendly city. Paris is another must. And Berlin. But avoid Brussels. It's a dump, although it would provide an opportunity to visit the Waterloo battlefield. My favourite US city is New Orleans. I spent a very happy month there on leave after the 1991 Gulf War.

Re: Re: Is It True That All Roads Lead To Rome ... ???

Dear Ian B.,

Glasgow it shall be on my "Must See" list ...

Cheers Mate !!!

Hello Dave.
In your way leading to Rome you have to visit Barcelona!!
Best regards.

Re: Re: Is It True That All Roads Lead To Rome ... ???

Glasgow??!! lol ok....

But if you dont want toi see Brussels "because its a dump" then Glasgow......... :|

Re: Re: Re: Is It True That All Roads Lead To Rome ... ???

Saigon - very interesting
Singapore - Clean and neat
Vancouver - how all cities should be
Bangkok - how all cities will be
London - one of the top 5 cities in the world
Istanbul - history all around
Rome and Florence - Fantastic

Paris? - Nah. A poor man's London

Re: Re: Re: Re: Is It True That All Roads Lead To Rome ... ???

Hail Dave, I think i prefer the environmentally friendly lapping of the waves by ROMAN ship route, missing out all the foreign conmen overcharging grovelling hotel staff their overfed bedbugs and over rated tourist industry bandits and their sponging bedfellows. I would not miss Immense volume of traffic jams and irate drivers when i drive down the street the wrong way because the street signs are well placed to avoid logic.

Cruise takes away all the pains above and gives one more the adventure blinkering to the places of interest you choose to visit and ship to door protection.The way to go....

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is It True That All Roads Lead To Rome ... ???

I want to thank all of you for your suggestions. I'm going to print and keep all of your information in a file so I can map out all the great ideas.

Other than my collection including S*R, Orion, HaT and many others, the best money I ever spent was to send my wife with my mother on one trip, and again Keiko and her mother on another to Rome, Paris and London. She made 2 beatuful photo albums showing how really beautiful the places are and how wonder the people were to both of them.

I know I'm repeating myself, but my mom was an art teacher and one of her favorite visits was the London Museum of Art. When I was growing up, she used to let me attend all of her summer school art classes she taught. This was one of the reasons I enjoy the sculpting and artistic side of our hobby so much.

In spite of my usual boarish talk, I am looking forward to the day that I can visit Europe and other places too, not just to see the sites, but especially to enjoy the people. And I promise to behave myself.

Again, cheers to all of you, and I hope to hear more. Have a super weekend! Dave H.

And don't forget Florence...

...and all Tuscany (Pisa, Siena, Lucca, Arezzo...) expecially if you love medieval/renaissance architecture!
BTW, if you need a "base camp", just call

Re: And don't forget Florence...

I would suggest the 'Heeresgeschichtliche Museum' in Vienna! I be deeply impressed about this great Army museum!!! It documents the Great Austrian history in a valuable manner!

http://www.hgm.or.at/ger/

With Elton John's Song 'Vienna waits for you!'

Martin Macalka

What they said and Crete too

Hello Dave
A trip I have done that takes in culture, Natural History, Archaeology, Ancient History,Ottoman history and WWII History to mention a few is a trip to Crete.
The way I enjoyed best; Fly to Athens visit the Acropolis, wander around the City see the Evzone Guard and see if you can spot one under seven foot tall.(I'm six foot and they seem to tower over me, and you should see their 'silly walk'; I think they gave John Cleese the idea for his sketch in 'Monty Python')
Take the metro to Pirieas. Get the overnight ferry to Iraklion (Crete's capital with a great museum). Visit Knossos, Gortyn, Rethimno(a beautiful Harbour town) and then up the mountains to the Minoan Cemetary at Armeni. Then to Plakias and on to Hora Sfakia where the Allies were evacuated in 1941. You should also pass Rodakino where the captured German General was sailed off the Island and an old Venetian Castle at Frangokastello.
At Hora Sfakia you have choices of a boat trip to Louto, a mountain drive up to Anapolis where the old gentlemen still dress in the traditional 'andartes' costume and carry guns.(mostly for shooting rabbits).Or you could take the main Chania road up the mountain above the Imbros Gorge and see Eagles and Vultures and you could visit George's WWII museum there. George was ten years old when he helped some British officers in their exploits. He still has the scar in his head where a German shot him for his trouble.
If you then head for Chania (another beautiful harbour town)you can get a ferry back to Pirieas.
I shall be out there again in June of this year and I hope to call in to see my ol' friend.

Re: What they said and Crete too

That is a neat place Murat, very serene and Idyllic.A great place to leave all ones troubles behind and recouperate with military annuls and metaxas hic

Re: Re: What they said and Crete too

Hello Hank
I find the Metaxas a little harsh. except the seven star variety.
I prefer the Cretan Raki; Nearly every Villager distills his or herown and it is usually given free with anything you buy, be it a meal or just a beer, retsina or cochino.
I should of mentioned the great beaches, rocky walks and for those who like to go wild, the variable night life; ranging from the traditional Tavernas and Raki-bars with tradition music to the inevitable disco and girlie bars with 'pop' music.

Re: Re: Re: What they said and Crete too

Ah Happy days soaking up metaxas a palate saviour from cheap greek red wine dining .The great goat meat in the tavernas with my German girlfriend from Schlewig-Holstein and an Argentinian couple from Mar del Plata. Saw many of the ancient sites and relics in museums which helped inspire my interest imn 1/72 models.

2500 years of history, head of an Empire for 500 years, Rome is the town with the higher number of archeological sites.

Detour required

My por bella Napoli /naples is a different matter.Not good for tourism all the trash .