Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Strelets French Hussars reviewed

Hi Christiaan,

to be honest I like the figures as I am in need of Austrian hussars too.

But I can't understand why such an easy unit to research as the French hussars have such mistakes and then PSR which is often telling us stories about wrong and right isn't able to find it. A lot of people accept PSR statements and this is the problem in my eyes.

cheer
Uwe

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Strelets French Hussars reviewed

I've found that if you write to PSR they'll reply and correct any mistakes. I have done so a number of times and they seem to appreciate it.
David M

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Strelets French Hussars reviewed

I've done the same thing and have found PSR to be real Gentlemen to deal with. You should not be afraid of writing to them if you believe you may have discovered an error.

Then of course, it's all about history and sometimes it can be hard to tell what's right and what's wrong...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Strelets French Hussars reviewed

I'm in with Uwe, your're right. And yes, I like those hussars too.
Marc, the plumes are a bit big, but note that the plumes were larger during the early period than the were in say 1812.

Cheers,

Christiaan

Re: Re: Re: Re: Strelets French Hussars reviewed

Excuse me for sounding a little slow, Uwe, but are you saying this set of Strelets could be used as Austrian hussars? Figures & all? Without any modifications?
regards, donald

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Strelets French Hussars reviewed

Hi Donald,

first to answer the other guys, you are right when you say they change some mistakes after getting some advice. I can only talk for myself and I check every morning the (for me) most important homepages, so
I usually see the first posting. When there is a change later I won't get it as I had my watch. Maybe others do the same?

Ok, Donald - A hussar is a hussar and there are only some small differences which can be overseen in 1/72. The size of the Shako is a little bit different. The only thing I would change if you want to be a purist is glueing an oak-leaf on the shako as the Austrians did.

cheers
Uwe

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Strelets French Hussars reviewed

A little late replying considering all that has been said before. However, my 2 pennies are that I think these figures are more useful with the incorrect horses. I already have boxes of the Italeri French but I want to round off my 1798-1805 Austrians so these figures are really welcome. I already use the Stretlets Russian lancers as Austrian Ulans and I bought the Hat Wurst Wagon to try and produce Austrian Horse Artillery. A great day for those of us with Austrian armies.

Best regards,

Maslcolm

other Austrian conversions

Malcolm,
I've also used the HaT wursts for Austrian artillery caissons. Great minds....
On my 'list to do' is turning some of the surgeon figures from this set into Austrian aides. Essentially, I'll add a sash out of milliput & paint them in the green coat.
What do you think? The Strelets' French hussar horses might be suitable mounts?
Uwe; thanks! I really need Austrian hussars. I have a regiment of RSM ones but it's not enough.
donald

Strelets French Hussars

The schabraque was anyway part of the gala uniform and with the erratic sate of furniture at the end of the napoleonic wars i'm certain french hussars had it and the sheepskin together. Besides it can also be left to the trumpeters. They usually had a flashier dress even in the field. The plumes can be trimmed to make just a pompom. The rouleau shako was much more typical of the 1815 campaign. Before it was certainly given to some regiments as the 7th but not all. And yes the guides heads are perfect for this shako. Just give the hussars heads to them and you have excellent french chasseurs a cheval (well without the lance)

Mat

Re: Strelets French Hussars

Hi Mat,

can you proof your statement of the expensive shabracke insteadt of the sheepskin with a (primary)source? Of around 500 paintings I have about the different regiments I have none with the shabracke as you mentioned it.

cheers
Uwe

Re: Re: Strelets French Hussars

Like that I can't although I seem to remember an image with the french 3rd hussars using schabraques as late as 1814 in a book, but didn't search thoroughly
What I say is that the way supplies were either in Spain for most of the war and in 1813/1814 it would not be out of hand to think that strict regulation was not available. As an example most hussars had either pelisse or dolman and there were many regulation items unavailable.
The regulation and the actual field dress were anyway very different.

Mat