Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Austrian Napoleonic infantry

Kert,

I used Esci and Italeri Austrians when I built my Austerlitz model. Each worked well enough, but I was never entirely satisfied with either.

In theory the Esci Austrians will work for the Wars of 1805/06. Esci actually put out a battle-box call "Austerlitz & Jena" the idea being that the figures wearing bicorns could represent both Prussian and Russian infantry. All that said, the kit is a mish-mash of accurate details and errors; like most of Esci's product.

The old Italeri Austrians are pretty good, all things considered. I feel like they are a rip off, since one actually needs to purchase two kits to make one firing line or column, but the end product is at least an attractive model.

All this is something of a non-issue since these sets are becoming increasingly scarce. The new Italeri Austrians, simply put, are not accurate for Austerlitz. In fact, most of the set is dressed in uniforms from the 1770's!

HaT's current Austrain infantry is not suitable for Austerlitz, but their unreleased Grenzers and Grenadiers will be.

In all honesty, I would like to see Strelets Mini add 1800-1805 Austrian Line to their range. The Austrian officers in their Allied Command kit are good enough that I can't help but believe that they could make a truly useful contribution to the hobby with a Mini kit of helmeted 1805 Austrian Line.

As far as where to buy, I can only recommend U.S. dealers and I am not certain of any which are currently stocking the kits in question.

I would advise that your best bet is to wait for HaT's new Austrians to come out, and/or lobby Strelets Mini to put out a kit of 1805 Austrians.

Re: Re: Austrian Napoleonic infantry

I believe we all had this discussion a while back, where I lamented about the dearth of decent Austrian Napoleonic Infantry, particularly those wearing the raupe kasket helmet, in use until the close of the 1809 campaign. Somebody mentioned art miniaturen in Germany, and their site is well worth a look.Although their Austro-Hungarian infantry are depicted with the shako, the poses are exciting and useful and I just wondered if anyone has ordered anything from this company.Question: how large are the figures from foot to eye level? This info would be a real help before ordering.Thanks! p.s. their artillery pices, especially the French, are unquestionably the best I've seen in this scale. Dont be confused with some domestic art deco site of the same name...look for the title 'Homepage ' on your web search list. Cheeers, Don