Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Does the box matter?

I really like boxes, I collect them. Those new strelets Arabic sets have great box art, a beautiful overflow of colour! :)

I agree that a bag and header would not attract casual buyers, but I was thinking perhaps the single figure artwork you see on Hat boxes might be just as inviting yet quicker and cheaper. Although not as exciting as the old Rava scenes, I like the Hat figures, which are always well drawn. I love the full battlescenes as much as anyone but if it helps keep manufacturers solvent I would accept less so I could still have the figures.

Re: Does the box matter?

I think a good illustration on the box is very important,and personally I prefer a battle-type scene as it provides more assistance with painting (when your painting skills are as basic as mine every little helps).The HaT-style single figure is just about acceptable for 20th century figures who largely all look much the same,but in sets which contain more than one troop type,a single figure is quite inadequate.

Re: Does the box matter?

I like box artwork, but it is not a big deal to me. when i used to keep my figs in their boxes, it was cool to look at the artwork, get a feel for the soldiers,etc. I found it kinda cool that a couple of manufacturers actually had opposing armies facing each other on their individual boxes. Now that i keep my figs in plastic containers, the artwork is no longer all that important. if it would cut the cost of sets, i'm all for duller boxes!

I appreciate the artworks but I think they should be secondary important.

With the large competition, due to the many artists, the financial value of illustrations shouldn't be so rilevant...
I wander how many cheap and good suitable artworks would come out if a factory ask for such contributions on a forum or a website, many modellists are artists.
I don't know if I would be clever enough, but I think I'm not the only one that would be pleased to contribute with an artwork, perhaps not just for free, but one or few finished boxes would pay enough a private hobbist (there's the pride too), that could be an althernative to some expensive professional artistic illustrators if the problem is the cost.

The simple plastic bags are too rough, they would fit for artigianal productions (I use those for my small production) otherwise the cost would rise too much for the package.
A commercial factory could use thick transparent blisters on an illustrated cardboard, They are cheap and not bad to see, it could still include an artwork but it would let the figures visible, that's usefull to see what we're buying. I remember some old cardboard boxes with the artwork but also a transparent window to show the pieces inside.

The artwork can be appealing for beginners, for more demanding and experienced hobbists I think a photo of painted pieces, or even better of a diorama, would be much better, they are still great artworks to see, and probably would attract as well the beginners too.
It could show well how the product looks when is finished and well painted, a very attractive thing.
I like to see good illustrations and paintings, but being in the modellistic environment I prefer to see a good modelling artwork on the box.

Finaly for painting informations, historic profiles, eventual wargaming values, etc. perhaps a sheet included inside would be cheaper and let much more space for a well detailed description, instead than trying to fit everything on the boxes.

Leo

21st century hobbying frito lay and cd

Its 2007 .How about a chip/crisp bag like frito lay or walkers(brits) with a mini cd with the artwork on.At least we'd get to see uniform in detail etc for a range of figures.Disc could have order of battles, wargame rules and distance calculator for movement and firing in 1/72 etc.

Plus some figure painting scenic tips.Disks could have advertising by scenic companies and paint makers etc.