Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Big Box Set 901 - "Into the Valley of Death" Masters !!!

Poses are super; hope some Russian opponents too; wonder how many old sets will be included...

Re: Big Box Set 901 - "Into the Valley of Death" Masters !!!

Oh yes this looks superb. A definite purchase for my Crimean collection, and quite possibly some really useful walking cavalry figures for Napoleonics too. Well done Strelets!

Re: Re: Big Box Set 901 - "Into the Valley of Death" Masters !!!

Looking forward to see what Strelets come up with for dead/wounded horse poses.

convertable

With a little bit of conversion(raising weapon arms) those foot figures can be good groups of "unmounted last stand"
against the Uhlans etc.

Say...just maybe.....one day those brave chaps think they are called the Turkish Infantry, will pour down the hills from the onlooking redoubts (the right direction this time) and save the Light Brigade. Flanked by les flamboyants et formidable Chasseurs D'Afrique.

Excellent choice!

Only one question:

Are any existing sets going to be included?

Glad to see the Crimean Range is going from strength to strength .... I'm really enjoying seeing this range develop.

Have a great day! Frank

Re: Excellent choice! / Casualty Poses

To The Puppeteer, Frank & et als,

Regarding horses, I hope there is/are a prone horse. Already, in the other sets to be included are the falling forward horse poses, so I'm excited to see the new horses too.

Regarding wounded trooper casualties, the last bottom row three poses look great. But the pose in the center (#2) guy appears to be scanned laying on his face. I think he should have been scanned laying on his back. So, looks like reaching up (#1), laying on back (#2), and laying on front (#3).

The #2 looks a little strange as scanned, but as has been argued on the forums, it's hard to make a live guy look dead, and conversely it is hard to make a dead guy look live!

Regarding Big Box contents, looks like PSR has updated us in their latest news section.

shrapnel bursts ripping tearing cavalier flesh

Writhing bodies from hot burning metal shardes piercing arteries and severing limbs with geysers of blood spraying out. Lances penetrating pelise and thrusting through rib cages.Sabres clashing,then slicing jacket sleeves and bloody flesh, cracking bones of battle weary opponents. Injured horses hit galloping screaming bucking, kicking and biting uncontrollably amidst the crash of the stampede as it collides with the enemy.

Wounded and dead entwined by reins dragged over the rocky turf into unconciousness,through the stabbing stumbling and slashing defenders often trampled under hoof by their own. The trailing dead riders look alive until the horse finally comes to a halt, blown or lifes blood expired by lance , sabre shot and bayonette. For them the bugle sounds no more.........

Dave those casualty figures are just fine.With the right horse and trace/reins etc

Dont we just love happy endings(bring on the Turks )

Re: Big Box Set 901 - "Into the Valley of Death" Masters !!! Who is who ???

OK guys, now the famous people guessing game:

1. Which are the actual personality figures?
2. Which is the first guy to die who delivered the fateful note ordering the charge?

Enquiring minds want to know ... :-)

Re: Re: Big Box Set 901 - "Into the Valley of Death" Masters !!! Who is who ???

That'd be mad Irishman Lew Nolan. Bottom right mounted figure?

I think the first figure is Cardigan, the guy in the big hat is Lucan, and the chap holding the eye-glass is Raglan. Wait a minute, didn't Raglan lose an arm at Waterloo?

Re: Re: Re: Big Box Set 901 - "Into the Valley of Death" Masters !!! Who is who ???

Indeed, the man with the hat is Lord "Look on", famously mocked for his reluctance to lead the brigade into 'unnecessary' danger. Cardigan should be in his hussar uniform. Lord Raglan gave the order and was safely on the ridge watching the debacle. He would most probably be sat down on a canvas chair. Perhaps the third is Lord Paget (2nd in command of the Lt Bgde and) commander of the 14th Lancers.

Re: Re: Big Box Set 901 - "Into the Valley of Death" Masters !!! Who is who ???

1. Lord Cardigan (aka [Sir]Trevor Howard in the film)should be in command.
2. Captain Nolan (aka the late David Hemmings - see him in a ginger wig in Gladiator) should die trying to redirect the charge in the right direction. (The order, and the wording of the note, were not explicit enough. It required a good officer, who had not fallen out with his commander, to convey the full meaning of the order.)

"Cherry bums!"

The light brigade should include hussars, (light) dragoons and lancers. It's a shame this piece of military incompetence should overshadow the heroic work of the Heavy Brigade (defeating Russian cavalry that outnumbered them 2:1 (?) and the Highland regiment (98th?) who warned off another massed cavalry attack with their firepower at long range ('The Thin Red Line').

Re: Re: Re: Big Box Set 901 - "Into the Valley of Death" Masters !!! Who is who ???

will there be a figure suitable for "Trumpeting Harry" Flashman!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Big Box Set 901 - "Into the Valley of Death" Masters !!! Who is who ???

Yeah, and a horsedrawn carriage with a naked Russian maiden in the back...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Big Box Set 901 - "Into the Valley of Death" Masters !!! Who is who ???

This has quickly become one of my favorite periods, and this type of set is why Strelets is one of my favorite mfgs. Excellent! Superb! My fear that this range was going to die is gone. Bring on the Turks, French Cav, and more Brits.

Haven't see the movie, but I'll make it a point to track it down.

Any gueses for the other three sets that will come in the big box? I bet we will see hussars, light dragoons and lancers.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Big Box Set 901 - "Into the Valley of Death" Masters !!! Who is who ???

Hi Scott,

Here is a partial quote from PSR's News section:

"... the box will contain their sets of British Hussars, Lancers and Light Dragoons plus a new set ... there is not long to wait - release is expected around the end of this month or early October."

Start saving your "Milk Money!"

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Big Box Set 901 - "Into the Valley of Death" Masters !!! Who is who ???

Sounds good. Need plenty of cav for the charge. I love this range so much that I'm contemplating selling off several of my napoleonic sets so I can put the money toward my Strelets Crimean armies.

This is such a great era. You know, I love the ACW era as well. So much was learned from the Crimea and I really find both wars as the turning points from linear to modern warfare. I wish Strelets would build up an ACW range, because the life they put into thier sets would be so fitting and make such interesting sets to buy.

I digress.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Big Box Set 901 - "Into the Valley of Death" Masters !!! Who is who ???

Dear Scott,

this range will die either with us or when fully completed.

Regards,

Strelets

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Big Box Set 901 - "Into the Valley of Death" Masters !!! Who is who ???

Dear Strelets,

Glad to hear you plan to complete this line. Can't wait for the other planned sets to come out as well. WW2 used to be my favorite, but now it is tied with the Crimea thanks to you. Keep up the fantastic work and I'll buy what you put out.

By the way, why did you stop the interesting bit of history on the back of boxes like you did for the highlanders?

Wow - one day I decide not to check the forums and then such news!! Many thanks Strelets for this great stuff!

Hank I like your description of a close combat. That would be a great scene for a diorama.

What a wonderful morning, another impressing CW set and dead husars are useful for a lot of other campaigns too.

cheers
Uwe

Dear Jon,

would you like to see another set like this devoted to the Heavy brigade engagement?

Regards,

Strelets

Re: Re: Re: Re: Big Box Set 901 - "Into the Valley of Death" Masters !!! Who is who ???

Yes, very much so - the more the merrier. But I doubt it will be as interesting because there would not be so many dead and wounded cavalrymen. I think production of Turkish troops is more of a priority.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Big Box Set 901 - "Into the Valley of Death" Masters !!! Who is who ???

Jon F , I applaud that, re Turkish Infantry.

Strelets ,If a Heavy Cav set comes out i hope the special set would be Royal Horse Artillery and made available as a mini set.Caisson limber fmounted and unmounted teams drivers etc.(Zvezda Russian Napoleonic Artillery one of my favorit sets as it is complete). hav e fun Hank