Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Review of Borodino set on PSR

PSR have presented a good critique of the Borodino sets.
They have reviewed the Cuirassiers and Dragoons together. I feel the result is that the Dragoons have deprived the Cuirassiers of the deserved 9 rating for sculpture.
However, the message is clear that Strelets have the opourtunity now to produce at least one new set of French Cuirassiers (charging) and they should sell bucketfuls. Assuming they are of the same standard by the same Sculptor.
I'm off to convert my attic in anticipation of buying lots them.

Re: Review of Borodino set on PSR

I have ordered the separate sets (winter dress) and the boxed set. Unfortunately, there is a limit to how many Saxon cavalry I can use, so will not buy more than one set, which is a real shame as I would buy 10 boxes of the French and Russians (each) as individuals, because of how many I need, and the winter dress options are not great for every unit in my armies.

I know it is a commercial decision by Strelets, but I think it is a wrong one.

Re: Re: Review of Borodino set on PSR

And why, oh whyoh why do the horses in blue and green?

Since they're all on separate sprues surely it's easy enough to do them in black or brown?

Re: Re: Review of Borodino set on PSR

I agree with Marc -- I'd readily buy a number of sets of the cuirrassiers at rest but don't need a lot of Russian hussars. I wish the cuirrassiers could be broken out for sale alone but respect Strelets's marketing decisions. Also, like many of the rest of you, I suspect, I disagree with PSR's criticism of the cuirrassiers as being too static. I, for one, need a lot more men standing and waiting. I've got plenty waving their swords around already.

Theme sets need battlefield feature

Airfix and Italeri Imex playsets still sell with a basic format.Good theme sets need a battlefield feature fort etc.

Be good to see this for Napoleonic and Crimean War.Whats yours ?

---
Here's my fantasy BOX SETS for CW

SANDBAG BATTERY model with Russian Infantry(or Grenadiers) and Grenadier Guards(or British Foot).

RUSSIAN COMMAND Cossack cavalry Infantry and fortified Crimean Farmhouse with the Russian Command figures.Tents.

ALLIED COMMAND figures with Brit Grenadiers small compound dacha,prefabricated log cabins and tents.Hussars

INKERMAN British Light Infantry and Russian Infantry plus model of the broken wall/The Barrier.

BALACLAVA Small outpost REDAN model with Turkish Infantry and Artillery, Cossack Infantry and Russian Infantry.

SEBASTOPOL Russian Infantry and Artillery, French Zouaves and Light Infantry with a "slice" interlockable part model of the Mamallon.

COMMISSARIAT,Model church at KADIKOI,prefabrictaed Huts and tentage.Supply Waggons,Muletrain, Camels
amd Horsed drawn Railway carts.Model Horse shelter lines.

Great Idea

Entrenched batteries, small redoubts, churches,inns and other buildings, tents, wagons, bridges...a world of possibilities. 2 new sets and an accessory is more attractive to me than 2 new and 2 old (although I understand Strelets knows their business better than I). BTW, why didn't you mention you'd like to see some CW Turkish infantry before, Hank? :-)

Time is the enemy

Hi Andy,

Me, well i dont need to mention Turkish Infantry any more, as so many other people seem to want them. If Strelets dont know by now , they never will. I begin to wonder sometimes if i am on the right forum.

Psst medal of Honor Airborne out sept 5th , and here is where i find more hobby time going to,because of the time lag in production.

Just select your army gun and terrain already done turn on xbox 360. No paint etc needed just a small table with an ammo can of 6 packs and another with a pile of Taco bell finger food.Have fun

Re: Time is the enemy

Hello Hank
I thought you weren't going to mention the Turkish Infantry again (or was that me that said it? ; of course it was)
I recently watched a programme (History/Discovery channel)called Battlefield Detectives. It investigated the battle of Balaklava.
They did not pull any punches.
It proved that The Turks in the Allied redoubts were under constant attack by the Russian Artillery etc., for a good two hours before Raglan got up to have his breakfast.
Then the cowardly Turks (as they were dubbed by the British press)withdrew to join up with the Highlanders (the Thin Red Streak) and with the help of the Highlanders repulsed the massive Russian cavalry attack.
I expect you know all this but I just wanted to reiterate that what should have been know as the 'Thin Blue streak -with a bit of Red in it' cannot be ignored in any represention of the Crimean War.
We need lots of Turks for the reboubts and the Thin Blue Line.
But I'm not going to mention the Turkish Infantry again
Best regards
Murach

To Hank

If you enjoy the computer games, more power to you. It does sound a lot quicker. But I never could get the hang of them and I do like the old-fashion way. It's become mostly nostalgia for me, anyway, my last connection to a childhood that grows more distant each day.

sign of the times

That sums it all up nicely for alot of us i guess Andy.

the computer games are encroaching new virtual depths all the time which will soon allow you to pick your era, type of uniforms(skins) the images will wear.

In fact the technology is there already, just like the sports games, instead of 49'ers outfits it will be select Cuirass or Dragoon surtout etc.

In stead of select stadium it will be trench or open field or urban or desert warfare etc.

Thats why we shouldl try and ask manufacturers for better represented wargame figures and accessories or they(15mm 1/72 25/28mm) will all disappear.

Re: Re: Time is the enemy

Interesting take on the Thin Red Line story.

The Russian account I have read (translated) said the cavalry withdrew after recieving significant casualties from the Highlanders, who were initially hidden until they stood up from cover, and the artillery (definately British Artillery). The Scots' version says they first fired at 1000 yards with their rifles (something the Turkish troops could not have done) but did not have effect. However, the second and third volleys (according to the Russian account) wounded many and persuaded them to wheel away and retire. If some of the Turkish troops had indeed stood with the Highlanders, their fire would have been less important than their actual appearance in support in persuading the Russians to turn away.

However, the British accounts are always biased and tend to continually dismiss the Turks as 'unreliable, lazy or downright cowardly'. This has to be taken in context: many of the writers had a 'death before dishonour' complex (see The Charge of the Light Brigade), and Turkish withdrawal after spiking the guns is understandable when they were severly outgunned. The British army in the first year of that war was an army recruited from volunteers from other regiments who had stayed behind. Their 'gung-ho, lets get at them Ruskies' attitude, combined with superior firearm technology, tended also to make them do things on the battlefield that no sensible general would allow. The Turks were not cowards, but the Brits were a bit mad and treated them as such.