Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
vote of "NO" confidence

Good reply Dave, saw you stepped back to view the response.

Seems to me STrelets need direction.if they are expanding they need a good kick in the pants FIRST. Allow me.......

the past 2 years they knee jerked to the other market demands (or really they bowed down and rolled over with Hat).Strelets pushed past their own ideas and collectors to the back to make mini boxes and stampedes of cavalry boxes.Adding to other incomplete ranges, completing/achieving unfinished work, NOT ACCOMPLISHING ANYTHING for themselves.

Stelets COULD HAVE COMPLETED THEir flagship production , cRIMEAN wAR. but here we are still waiting after 2 years for something ahem.... "coming soon".

Stability. I wish they would have maintained their roots.Completing their 1/72 ranges .Is getting too beyond reasonable time. I've now begun moving back into metal figures as they are becomming available in these ranges.Previously i have replaced all plastic figures with sizeable metal armies.

Strelets are plugging gaps in others holds but are "missing the boat" with their own customers.For some reason I havent got the confidence that Strelets will complete some of their ranges.

Cashcows are out there.really really Basic, do war movie release series.

Run limited figures,6 box 3 per side
Cav,Inf, Art

using tangent marketing and advertising. Run ahead with forthcoming war movies.
MacDonalds and Burger King do specials even make figures associated with movies. Whats good for the goose...must be good for the gander.

300 (Spartans) could have been quite a project. However we see unconnected romans produced.Lost opportunity. duh....
Meanwhile old Atlantic(hybrids etc) Greeks and Persian get swept off the internet.

So to answer STrelets question NO keep to what you are good at.The sculptors may be passable at 1/72 but when you magnify these figures you will see features that you just wont get away with in larger scales.Out of scale hands weapons collars webbing hats etc.

(Also If i was emhars i'd be worried about thE "economic war" with chinese made toys being trash-canned.)MADE IN cHINA, DONT MEAN CHEAP NO MORE,MEANS DANGEROUS.Could happen to any country falling out with Uncle Sam.))

FOCUS hits the nail on the head.Everything else will happen. there ...my toe ids throbbing but that feels real good.

Re: Cross-Sharing Masters For Different Scales Doesn't Work ...

Dear S*R,

Hank and Brain make some very appropriate comments regarding "cross-sharing" masters designed for 1/72 HO purposes with larger scales.

I have already complimented your sculptor on the fine job he has done on the Naval Commander master. He's awesome as far as my tastes go, and in 1/72 HO he would be a sure winner.

But if you up-scale him, some body-parts may appear out of proportion. Some parts too big for bigger scale, and when cross-sharing masters, other parts would simply be too small for 1/72 purposes.

Let me give you a real life example of a failed downsizing attempt of larger to smaller scale which should expose the opposite problem of smaller to larger ...

The IMEX Alamo Round Hats were produced in 54mm long before 1/72. Toy Soldiers of San Diego (California) had scans eons ago. At the larger scale the lances, guns, swords, and other thin accessories were thick enough to not break off.

But when they were pantographed down to 1/72, these accessories simply drop off, even break off out of the box from shipping.

I'm truly disappointed about this as the sculpting and art work is right-on, but the engineering realities have negated a fine effort.

I personally love the look of "Lead Figures" with their exaggerated heads, hands, feet, mustaches, helmets, buttons, and so on. And in soft plastic they look eqaully attractive. But in larger scales, at least 3 of us on this forum can anticipate they would simply attract criticisms against your good-intentioned efforts.

So, for now, please stick to with what you are so good at and continue commissioning your sculptors make your uniquely accurate and attractive 1/72 figurines designed for their smaller scale purposes.

Happy Producing (and I don't envy you) but we all need and want you! Thanks for asking :-)

LOUD ANSWERS

Seems the major response to Strelets question, is "NO".

Quite a few fed up folk waving a big banner saying "get on with the Crimean War range" etc. ( Looks like most of us are standing out on the flank after parade inspection,speaks volumes.)

How Strelets react to this feedback will be very interesting.

Re: Question

Perhaps you should ask on a forum dedicated to 1:32 and 1:48 scale. I'm sure they would love your product in their scale. I wouldn't mind some links to such forums myself.

I do know that Tamiya is starting to more of their former 1:35 scale soldiers in 1:48. Both in hard plastic. 1:48 is also very popular scale for aircraft, so a pilot and groundcrew set or maybe even paratroops and helicopter troops, would be a very good start.

There is also 25mm or is it 28mm for gaming.

Nice-looking figure, and I do like naval subjects, but I haven't the space or money for everything so its 1/72 or not at all for me. I would also echo the comment 'make what you have already promised first'.

My opinion is NO!!!
There are too many gaps in your Crimean War range for example to diversify your efforts in other scales.
Improve your quality and you'll can rest on the top...

NO

Only interested in 1/72nd scale

Re: NO

Well to be honest I'd like to see more sets in 1/32 period. I got my start in that scale. So all the more 1/32, as well as we still have 1/72 since that seems most popular, is fine with me. Keeps the hobby varied, no?

CWD

Re: Re: NO

Agreed, but I've already stated my case in an earlier thread

Re: Re: Re: NO but YEAH but

The other night I find Replicents and other 1/32 figure manufactures of Michigan Toy Soldier Co- they have royal navy(Nelson's navy), Trafalgar sailors and gunners, Royal Marines and dead seamen poses.

http://www.michtoy.com/MTSCnewSite/newplastic_folder/new_plastic_1-32Scale.html

Zvezda also has some 1/35 ww2 soviet and german sniper teams, the artwork on the the box looks great.

http://www.zvezda.org.ru/?lng=eng

Hope this venture will make more money to funding more 1/72's.

Re: NO but YEAH but - Replicant's Website

That's right. Replicants has made a complete line of Sailors, Marines, Personalities, wounded, etc. And durn fine, too!

The guy (main guy) who makes the Replicants figurines is Peter Cole. He embodies everything about plastic toy soldiers. He researched and authored the history of Britain's & Herald figurines (Swoppets) in his book "Suspended Animation." His book is an absolute joy to read. I bought directly from his homepage site and he shipped to me in Japan at the time.

Now, if we could have the same in 1/72 that HaT hasn't produced yet, Wow !!!

Here's Peter Cole's Link - Enjoy!:

http://www.replastic.com/home.html

Re: Re: NO but YEAH but - Replicant's Website

Firstly to correct my post above, having in mind read it again I intented to say as listed on Michtoy 'Seamen Lying dead -Sorry if the previous mention sounded innapropriate.

Thanks for the link by the way, this is good, I will look forward to reading this site. You sound like a good explorer.