Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Women and children...........last!

I know this is old news but, with the review of the forthcoming Valdemar set of peasants on the march, I was reminded of the terrible lack of civilian figures in plastic. At least for the middle ages the set from Valdemar, 2 levy sets from Strelets and Medieval Britain (with a few others) we are getting figures that could be used or adapted to people villages, towns and fields but as things stand these will be very adult and male populations. We need women and children, not just for the Middle Ages but for other popular periods, I would have thought that an ancient set, a medieval set, 19th century and mid 20th century would be useful to a lot of people. Obviously, Strelets would be the perfect company but they do have an enormous 'to do' list so perhaps the idea might attract a number of companies to choose a set and produce it. Who else would be interested in genuine civilians - bearing in mind that the sets will have to be a bit generic, we couldn't expect manufacturers to cover every changing style and fashion that came along?

Re: Women and children...........last!

I think that Graham makes an excellent point. I would like to add a cultural aspect by clothing civilians in their traditional costumes.

Re: Women and children...........last!

I entirely agree, but to make the set more attractive to the widest possible audience the manufacturers could theme each one. So for example do a set called 'Pompeii', which delivers Roman civilians - some of which are running but others in more ordinary poses. Perhaps 'Viking Raid' with lots of terrified villagers, 'Peasants Revolt' with generic medievals and 'Storming the Bastille' for generic Napoleonics. All could have women and children. It might be stretching the point a bit but I think they could be very popular.

Re: Re: Women and children...........last!

100% agree!!!!

you guys will be playing with dolls houses soon

we wait long enough for some sets to come out and you guys want a load of civillian non-combatants, phooey..

Re: you guys will be playing with dolls houses soon

Non-combatants? Some Saxon women have proved to be very dangerous to Viking health in some of our games!! Just substitute victims for the owrd civilian :-)

speed bumps

And a bunch of French civilians clogging up the roads in 1941 may be all that will save my retreating French from the Nazis.
donald

Re: speed bumps

If their retreating in 1941 then it must be the slowest retreat in history :-).

Actually did a game once where French commander was hamperd by refugees in getting to the front. Outcome of game was decided by a points system, the further the Germans got across the table the more points they got and the more the French held them back then the more they got. When dealing with civilians french commander was penalised for using force to get refugees out of his way - tough decision - shoot your own people to get at the Boche before he gets too far or hope you can gradually get through and push him back when you get there eventually.

Re: Re: speed bumps

Great idea, I think!

Re: Re: Re: speed bumps

Not if you're a French civilian!
donald

Re: Re: Re: Re: speed bumps

Better on a wargames table than for real.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: speed bumps

True, graham.
There's a thread over at TMP about "adult" themes in wargames....adding rape, looting etc.
I personally find it a distateful idea.
I'm happiest just pushing my bits of plastic (& metal)
around a table without adding the worst of the 6.00 News to it.
donald

Three to five Basic Types

There are at least three basic civilian activities for any given period. One would be Nuetrals, like farmers, costruction workers, basic crowds etc. Another group would be victems and/or refugees for scenareos ranging from the colussium in Rome to current conflicts. Finanlly there would be fighting civilians representing everything from resistance and revolution to terrorists, gangsters and other criminals.

I'm not sure if police, fire and ambulance ciyunt as civilian or military sets. They may make up an important fourth catagory.

A fifth type may also be sets of major league sports figures in action.