Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
How to cut figures from Strelets figures sprue...

Do you know how to cut the figures from any strelets sprue?

The attachments are so hard to cut even with the sharpest cutter.

Which tool are you usually used for this operation?

Thanks

Regards

Re: How to cut figures from Strelets figures sprue...

This is the medieval method, a bit orthodox, but very practical: first saw the largest part of the plastic 'pillar' which attaches the figure to the spure, and then cut the rest with large scissors. don't saw completely, for this may hurt you fingers, something I learned the hard way :(

Cheers, and good luck with your axe ;)

Christiaan

Re: Re: How to cut figures from Strelets figures sprue...

I put the entire sprue on a piece of card board or an old book, hold it with the left hand. Then I take my carpet knife or an Xcto knife and hold it with the right hand. the thumb goes to the left side of the knife, the index finger stabilizes theknife close to the tip and the other 3 fingers hold the right side. Then apply some firm but gentle pressure. It takes less than 5 seconds per figure, usually leaves clean stands and doesn't hurt at all.

But trust me, I know your pain. Before I figured out my current method I tried all kind of things, hurt my fingers and was not at all thrilled to desprue any Strelets figures.

Re: Re: How to cut figures from Strelets figures sprue...

I use kitchen scissors (the type intended to cut
through bone) to cut through the main attachment,
then use Xacto knives o trim them up and cut the
remainder of the sprue off the bottom of the figures.
Its no small task no matter how you do it!

Re: Re: Re: How to cut figures from Strelets figures sprue...

i use electical wire cutters to cut the main artery. hold the cutter edge flush with the base and 'snap'...easy. then trim the 'button' with a hobby knife. yes, the base artery is thick, but not bad with wire cutters. they also make a thin bladed set of sprue cutters in the 'squadron' catalog. these would be ideal for emhar, or italieri sprues which are tight. hope this helps.

Re: Re: Re: How to cut figures from Strelets figures sprue...

For me this job is a lot easier after I followed a great tip I got from someone on this forum some time ago. I ordered a Xuron high precision micro shear #80333 ($11.49 US) from micromark.com. It's very sharp with a fine, narrow edge that makes a flush cut. It works great on the large sprues as well as those delicate cuts around arms, weapons, etc. Well worth the investment for me. Also works great as a toe nail trimmer.

Micromark has an incredible assortment of fine tools for modelers. If your not familiar with them you should check them out.

Re: Re: Re: Re: How to cut figures from Strelets figures sprue...

I use cuticle cutters.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How to cut figures from Strelets figures sprue...

After undercoating in white primer....

I nip off all the figs with a pair of heavy duty wire cutters, then I trim off the base with a sharp craft knife, then I carefully remove every single bit of flash from the figure by running a scalpel around the figure. It takes about 1-2 minutes each and it takes a little practice but I remove all the flash (every single figure has some flash, even the cleanest Italeri fig).

Time consuming but worth it when it comes to painting....