Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: The weather before Borodino(Moskowa)

The 25th Line regiment (of Compans division) at the
battle of Borofino (la Moskowa) in the early morning before commencement of the battle:

Dans cette sanglante journée, les divisions Compans et Desaix, placées sous les ordres mêmes de Davout, eurent pour mission d'attaquer en flanc, par la lisière des bois, le second monticule et les trois flèches que les Russes avaient construits sur la gauche de leur ligne, pendant que Ney devait les attaquer de front avec deux de ses divisions. À trois heures du matin, le mouvement des troupes commença dans le plus profond silence, aidé par un brouillard (english=fog) épais qui masquait aux yeux de l'ennemi les dispositions prises de notre côté.
Arrivé à leur lisière par des chemins difficiles, il s'était approché de celle des trois flèches qui était la plus à droite, afin de la prendre par côté et de l'enlever brusquement.

This info I found on the French Site of this regt. When the circumstances in the morning were as discribed I can certainly imagine the soldiers were wearing their greatcoats and other items to protect themselves and their arms and ammo.
Having read lots of info about the battle and the campaign just prior and after La Moskova, the weather was switching from wet and cold to a more sunny autumnclimate during the day. I can therefore imagine the lads fighting there would have worn a mixture of uniforms.

Bert

Re: Re: Re: The weather before Borodino(Moskowa)

Bert, Please translate.

Re: Re: Re: Re: The weather before Borodino(Moskowa)

I tried to translate it as best as I could:
"On that bloody day the divisions of Compans and Desaix were under the direct command of Davout. Their mission was to attack the flank, from the edge of the wood on to the second hill and the three flèches that the Russians had build on the left of our line. Ney was to attack them at the front with two of his divisions. At 3 AM the troops were set in motion with the utmost silence. A dense fog furthermore covered our movement and this helped us to reach our dispositions unnoticed by the enemy.
We reached the vicinity of the flèches over difficult roads. Their centre now lay on our extreme right, complete for the taking and destruction by surprise."

At the end of or just after the battle it seemed it started raining again (probably during Napoleons inspection of the concered terrain).

Bert

Thanks Bert