Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Roman Opponents

I think that the lack of Roman opponents is endemic to Colonial Style Wars. On the 1 side there is the modern efficient army with all the latest in weapons and training, be they Roman Legionaries or British in 19th Century Africa. Then on the other side you have the losers, lots of them, brightly dressed, ill trained, be they Gauls, Germans, Dacians, Picts, Jews, Zulus, Mahdists, Egyptians.

So the problem always seems to be that one side is well documented small professional side that should win because of superior training and tactics and the other side needs a lot of effort to do well and may lose all the same.

However, without enemies what can we do with these winning Colonial Armies?

Best regards,

Malcolm

Re: Roman Opponents - question

If you had the choice of asking Strelets for one specific army of Rome's enemies to hopefully start a neverending series of hundreds of sets for this topic, which one would you pick?

My choice would be Goths.

-Goths fought against Romans and in Roman services against others, so could easily be used as Roman allies for any kind of battle in the later Roman Empire.

-we have 2 small sets of Goths from Hat, getting another (insufficient) one and at least 2 generic Germanic sets from Miniart and Caesar. Perfect timing to build up an entire Gothic army around this nucleus.

-What would be my personal dream for a Strelets Gothic army: one set each for heavy, medium and light cavalry, another cavalry set for alani, who at times were allies of the goths. Infantry: a Gothic shield wall, more sets for archers & slingers, light unarmored infantry and mixed infantry on the march as well as resting. Also an infantry set for the Alani. Another set for the Gothic laager, with wagons and defense troops. Finally the crown of the army, a gothic command set including the King, nobles, women and children and something like a big treasure that could be placed on the laager set's wagons.

11 sets altogether.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gothic_armies

nice account of some battles:
http://www.defencejournal.com/2001/feb/weapons.htm

Re: Re: Roman Opponents - question

The Goths were to late to be High Imperial Roman adversaries. I prefer the opponents for Flavians, against Trajan or Hadrian.

There aren´t plenty of them.

Parthians (besides the HAT and Orion sets)
Hebrews
Sarmatians
Earlier Germanic Tribes
Britain celts
Picts and Caledonians .

Re: Roman Opponents

Funny you should mention that problem. Most of the European powers were wondering just about the samw thing. So they used the Armies to stage WWI.

Re: Re: Roman Opponents

Very intelligent comment...
Spain had no colonial power anymore at the beggining of XX c... Fortunately our poor army was too weak to enter the WWI..