Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment

I got some HaT nappy french young guard for me birday (I'm 15 now ) and they had 2 sprues of the proper figs and 2 sprues baavarian infantry...I guess they messed up anyhow, can I use them for americans or brits/canadians for war of 1812?('twould be great not having to do head swaps, but I'm ok w/ doing them)

Fresly

ps am I the youngest on the forum?

Re: 1812

Fresly
Don't know if your the youngest, but I've had this happen too. I once got some Bavarian artillery mixed into a French artillery set. In discussion on the forum, this seems to happen mostly with HaT. It is a rare event though.

Re: Re: 1812

There was a thread long ago, on one of these forums, about such incidents with HAT. All those with similar incidents wrote that they contacted HAT, and got the missing sprues shipped to them. I can vouch for this attitude from HAT, as this happened to me as well - ironically, I got instead the bavarians, re-issued Airfix british.
I got also an explanation from HAT: to decrease costs for importers, they send to some distributors the sprues and boxes separatly.
So, write to HAT.

I've had this problem MANY times! However, as the guys have stated, contact HaT and they will replace. Most of the mix-ups I've had were with the 1805 Prussians having Fusiliers instead of Musketeers, and vice-versa. And for some reason Bavarians tend to have the odd wrong sprue (or are themselves the wrong sprue!)
Don't let it put you off HaT tho - maybe it's their idea of the Strelets bonus figure :)

Re: Re: 1812

haha. Will they ship EXTRA sprues? , or will I have to send the bavarians back...Does anyone have ideas on what i can use their bodies for in the war of 1812?

Re: Re: Re: 1812

Hi Fresly:
My only suggestion would be to use them as dismounted dragoons. If you look in the Osprey "The American War 1812-1814" it shows an American dragoon. The cut of his coat and his boots are similar to your Bavarian infantry coat and gaiters. His helmet is somewhat like a Bavarian crested helmet. If you were willing to cut a bit you might make it look like he was a dismounted dragoon. You might even pass them off as British dragoon, again dismounted, but it really is a strech.
I've checked some publications by the Company of Military Historians, Fort Niagara Association, and Ft. Mackinaw and I've found no one with those style helmets in that period. Most of the British had pretty standard uniforms. You may find some obscure American unit with the older style helmets. I recall doing reserach in the early 1980s at Fort Wayne Detroit and I came across a Michigan Militia unit from the early 19th century who had white bearskins for their drum major. Polar bear skins I presume? So, keep looking, some units had weird kit.
Good luck.
David Moore

Contact HaT, you wont be disappointed!

Fresly:

Happy 15th Birthday! I'm glad the younger generations are into this hobby too. That's great!

This happened to me as well, but true to what others said, contact HaT or the dealer you purchase this from and they'll solve the problem for you.

For contact, please refer to this page:
http://www.hat.com/Ask.html

Or, post this problem to the HaT forum:
http://pub19.bravenet.com/forum/1619281253

Re: Contact HaT, you wont be disappointed!

FYI, they sent me extra sprues

Re: Re: Contact HaT, you wont be disappointed!

thanks all...David Moore - thanks for your time. I knew the helmets might not be suitable, so I was thinking of the rest of the figs, and making a head-swap from other guys (nappy French, British, Austrians) that I could dig up.

Hello Fresley:

Well, first off, The Bavarians fought the Young Guards at the Battle of Hanau, in October 1813, so you can at least get started re-fighting that battle with just a simple paint job.

For the War of 1812, I can not think of any U. S. regiment that had a tunic pattern like the Barvarian Infantry. So I think you are stuck there.

For the Young Guard, I think you might be able to use them as is for either a State Volunteer or Militia Regiment, of hand I can think of Plauche's Uniformed Militia (of New Orleans, Louisiana had copies of French Napoleonic Uniforms so it would not be hard to imagine where they copied the greatcoats from.

For the U.S. Regular Forces I am still debating on whether a British Stovepipe/Waterloo shako looks closer to the American shakos or a French Shako does.

Most British/Canadian Forces we had the "stovepipe" shako as seen on Hat's British Light Infantry.

Anyway, back to painting Scott's Brigade (9th, 11th, 25th US Infantry Regiments, summer 1814)

Jordan.