Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Shield poses

Yes, Caesar sets are impressive in every other way, but there is a chronic lack of imagination going into the poses design.
I still don't see how a man holding his shield out like a matador's cloak and his sword like a flagpole is any use in a battle. I know there's the old boiling water technique, but that doesn't excuse the lifelessness of the Philistine swordsmen.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Shield poses

I guess the problem here is that if you want well sculpted figures without problems of undercut then the shield has to be separate or moulded away from the body. Large shields were also probably held to the front during the advance towards the enemy since otherwise the enemies bowmen and slingers would destroy these swordsmen before they could come to grips, much as the Egyptians sometimes did with the non-shielded Libyan spearmen, then following up with the heavy infantry to completely finish off the enemy.

So although separate shields is not to everybodies liking I think that they are necessary for a few of the usual 12 poses to show the advancing men just before impact with the enemy line.

Best regards,

Malcolm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Shield poses

Figures with Shields in front has been achieved by other manufactures using two peace molds, and in the 1960s airfix was able to prouce figures with peg and hold shield fits, that actually fit without glue. At least make the weopons the same color as the figures.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Shield poses

Haven't seen the Caesar Sea Peoples etc in the flesh but am currently painting some of their Egyptians and Libyans and got out my Hat Sea Peoples to compare how they looked, and to paint a couple to see what difference that made. Frankly, although I was not one of the people who really moaned about the Hat figures at the time, just being grateful to see some biblicals which were only just kicking off at then, in comparison to the Caesar stuff they are dreadful. Great big lumpy figures that look like deformed giants next to the elegant Caesar Egyptians and Libyans. So I can't agree that the new figs from Caesar are barely better than Hat - they are miles better! (and before anyone tells me I'm a Hat basher - I have to say I am definitely not, possessing many of their fine figures). Presently I feel like throwing the Hat stuff in the bin and replacing with Caesar - it just sticks in my craw to throw figures away and shell out money again.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Shield poses

OK. I might have exagerated a bit. I was just sooooooooooooooooo disapointed with the poses, which I still insist weren't much better. And by no means, was I at all satisfied with Hat's poses. On the bright side of things, I think that the market, can still handel another attempt at The Isrealites, the Phillistines and other Bibilcal and Bronze age subjects.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Shield poses

Caesar figs are technically excellent, but completely lifeless.
PSR criticises Strelets for being "rough round the edges", but at least the poses suggest real soldiers rather than the Caesar statues.
Or have the Phillies been turned to stone by the Hebrew's war God?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Shield poses

Even if Strelets minis seem to have their arms sawn off at the elbows...