Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
"Mongols" at Vienna

Concerning "Mongols" (actually "Tartars", very late descendants of the 13th to 14th century Mongols) at Vienna (1683), I'd say that only the light cavalry bowmen are useful to some degree. Forget about the heavy cavalry, the Ottomans didn't use heavy Tartar cavalry (actually, there was none).

Re: Mongols

Just another suggestion, on many accounts the mongols fought the armies of the persians

Re: Re: Mongols

Good day to you again,

Yes, you are quite right about the kamizaze, or "divine wind." If I am right I think it was two or three times that it destroyed the Mongol fleet and saved the samurai from the horrors of Mongol invasion.

However, I have heard (maybe I'm wrong--after all, I wasn't there ) that they did make at least some landings. This is what I meant about the samurai sword.

In the early days of Japanese history, samurai warriors would not fight as they did later in their history. They would ride out onto the battlefield and call out to the enemy, reciting their heroic exploits and lineage (basically a pedigree). this would challenge an enemy warrior of similar status to fight with him. They would duel one-on-one with their bows, the most important weapon for the samurai at this time.

However, when the Mongols invaded Japan (I guess they did make some landings?), the samurai quickly realized that the new important weapon to be used was the sword. Thus, over time, swords (the longer katana and the shorter, smaller wakizashi ) became the main weapon, and even a symbol of samurai status.

So perhaps you could create a beachhead diorama or something of that sort? I have no ideas for Mongol boats however....

Correct me if I am wrong somebody, please.

CivilWarDinosaur

Re: Re: Re: Mongols

The Mongols landet at one of the Japanese islands and fought the Japanese there. So there was fighting in the first invasion. Tumbling dice made a nice range of Mongols and Japanese for the first invasion.

The Mongols used a lot of Korean infantry troops for the invasion.

I used the non armoured mongols for the napoleonic period too. They are useful as Bashkires and Tatares.

cheers
uwe

A lot of very helpful ideas, suggestions and thoughts gentlemen. Thank you for your time and advice.

You are more than welcome!

In fact I find it therapeutic for me to talk about these sorts of things, my passions and all. I rarely get to have intelligent conversations, so really enjoyed it.

Thank you!

Check out this article:

5th-10th century nomadic hungarian army

Cheers
Zsolt

That's a wonderful link Zsolt. Wonderful photos, great painted figures full of imagination and thought. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Yes indeed, thank you! The two articles on painting WWII Germans could prove useful in the future as well.

Many thanks!

CivilWarDinosaur