Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: what i am going to do

Hi, Erik, I tend not to tell people because I can't be bothered by the necessary explanations.
With the fools you work with that's too late but I guess workplace bullies would find *something* to pick on regardless.
My advice, take it if you can (like all bullies, they'll tire if you don't react) or take it to management as a case of harrassment.
best of luck & BE STRONG!
donald

Re: what i am going to do

Erik:

I join the others in supporting you against your co-workers. Never mind them. Be strong, stick to your job and stick to this really COOL hobby.

Re: Re: what i am going to do

It's a 4 day process:

day #1 you put up a figure of xxxx and you write down your co-workers nasty comments...

day #2 put up a figure of yyyyy with his friend/bodyguard and tape your coworkers.

day #3 put up the leading figure of zzzzz and make a video of you co-workers.

day #4 you send evidence to the friends of xxxx, yyyyyy and zzzzz. Things will be taken care of.

You can think of variables for xxxx, yyyyy and zzzzzz, which I chose to leave out.

Seriously, assuming your situation is indeed serious and not just a joke...stop using your work computer for private stuff. YOur employer pays you for work and not for sitting around. If this job is your dream job, try to keep it. Try to think of your employer and your customers. They must feel betrayed if you browse the web instead of being 100% committed to their needs. I know I would feel that way if I were your employer.

Call the ACLU if you're under attack and continue to be harrassed for your personal preferences - but first stop bringing your personal life to work.

Re: Re: Re: what i am going to do

erik, i know what you're going through. i face not derision for my hobby, but utter apathy. actually, i find it amusing. but i do work with enough military history buffs and ex-g.i.s who appreciate modeling. there are a few motorcycle guys who laugh at my hobby. if i valued their opinion, it might matter. as it is, they may laugh, but they have no creativity, no imagination, and even less patience. i actually pity them. there are a lot of people in society who lead empty lives spent watching tv in futile hopes of being enlightened or entertained...and that's their life. be happy your're not one of those pitiful wraiths.

Re: Re: Re: Re: what i am going to do

When I was younger I used to be embarrassed about my interest in the hobby, and I didn't tell anyone. Now I'm a bit older, 40's, I am quite relaxed about it. I don't tell people about it unless they show an interest, but I am happy to talk about it and if people ask what my hobbies are I tell them. My girlfriend has absolutely no interest in my hobby and thinks it is stupid, but I don't care. Most men are still kids at heart as they get older.

Re: Re: Re: Re: what i am going to do

Erik,
I have also faced that kind of teasing, (including jibes about the 40yr old virgin), but I don't get it anymore.

As others have said, I mention the value of my collection and I have also brought in some of my painted figures. People tend to change their tune when they need a piece of a microscope to view the detail. And when I mention that I wrote and self-published a book on the subject, it really shuts them down.

Also tell them that this is the hobby of kings, presidents, generals and movie stars. (many English Kings, Eisenhower, Patton, Michael J Fox, Douglas Fairbanks Jr)

Victor

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: what i am going to do

Hi Erik,

You have already gotten some good advice from Jan. When at work, focus on the job they pay you to do. Same I tell my wife, do not Bookmark Sites on your company P.C. It belongs to them. Bookmarks and private e-mails can used against you as grounds for termination. Do not leave any paper-trails via e-mail etc. Enjoy your hobby at home on your P.C. Thats the hard part.

The good part, work hard to make friends and supporters in your office. Ask your co-workers what their interests and hobbies are. Show sincere interest in their lives and they will do the same back. Have a brewsky after work or go to lunch with them once in a while to build their trust. But stay out of their petty fights and quarrels. Don't take sides and everyone will trust you. Remember, be a "Professional and a Gentleman."

If you let them be them, and they let you be you, and you stay focused and interested in your job in the workplace, that's the dream job.

Now, come to us with your hobby. This is maybe the best place for it.

My advice

Let me tell you...

First, I know it can be bad for you, and we're all with you on it 100%! Hang in there, and stand like a soldier! Whatever kind of soldier you like...a Zvezda ashigaru, a WWII whatever, Strelets ACW, anything!

I must say that I agree that you shouldn't do anything personal at work, for the reasons stated above.

That said, you know why they make fun of you? Because they don't understand you. They're not educated enough to understand that we grasp history like they never could hope to. It's more about history than anything, at leat to me. It's also art.

I was amused to see it recommended to discover their hobbies. Good idea, that's what I thought of...I'll bet that they have some stupid thing that they do for fun. It might help to find one or two out and launch it back at them (but I wouldn't get into an actual battle about it). I think sports are stupid. I think most movies are stupid. Everyone like what they do. Don't persecute them unduly for things that aren't so bad, and don't let it get to you when they do it to you.

At my job I am also the brunt of some jokes from other guys. I brush it off. It never bothers me. If they are low enough to resort to it, then bravo for me, not for them!

Here's a little personal anecdote here. You wanna see a REALLY stupid hobby? I'm a Lego collector, and proud of it too. You want to see what I make? Look here:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Histo-Sci

Now that's even more "childish" than soldiers. So what if they're small and plastic? Doesn't make them toys.

Don't worry about it. They are the "lower" ones here. Show them that their criticism does not bother you (smile and say something patronizing--"You just are upset because I have the best hobby in the world" or something like that), and go on with it. Never let people like this bother you.

They're everywhere. Trust me.

CWD

Re: My advice

Oh, sorry, I forgot to ask, can you give any documentation for the Patton/Ike issue?

This is truly exciting, if it's a fact.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: what i am going to do

well said!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: what i am going to do

Who, me?

Well then thank you!

Being ridiculed is a part of my life. I just deal with it!