Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: CRIMEAN WAR French Guard Grenadiers

Excellent idea Hank. Have you tried it yet? I may give it a go tonight. I don't really attempt many conversions, but this one I may be able to pull off. Now, if we could just get one Franco-Prussian set......

If i take my time it usually goes okay.After they are pinned and SUPERglue has dried i spray the figures dark grey/black then paint. Have fun

Re: Re: CRIMEAN WAR French Guard Grenadiers

Hi Hank,

and what do you do with the Epaulettes?

cheers
Uwe

I KEEP the epaulettes Uwe. Am using fine illustrated source book by Maurice Tussaint Imperial Guard of Napoleon III(Vol & 3)-Guard Infantry in campaign dress ,standing next to a guard voltigeur (also has epaulettes also). Its a simple conversion head to head

Hi Hank,

that is what I mean. The FFL has no Epaulettes.

cheers
Uwe

Re: Re: Re: CRIMEAN WAR French Guard Grenadiers

epaulettes only a bit time consuming to effect.Personally I'm not too fussy for detailed looking "eps" when going for mass effect. I use a real bright red color to help mask, build up the "eps" with several THICK blobs/droplets of drying enamel paint.Bit of satelite HI-LITE work with paintbrush completes an okay job.

Re: Re: Re: Re: CRIMEAN WAR French Guard Grenadiers

Hi Hank,

ok, I did it the same way. I just wanted to know how you took on this problem.

cheers
uwe

HiUwe, I did try using ladies nail varnish also but was too thick and sticky to apply to the figures. Paint method was best.

2nd empire bearskins used to be bigger than those worn during the Napoleonic era, and fell down a little deeper towards collar, too. Apart the "épaulettes", the main difference with the colonial Foreign legion consist in the equipment, until 1860, (that is so after the italian campaign), French guard kept on using the old-fashionned white belts overlapping on the breast. And about the coat, a minor difference can be observed concerning the width between the two rows of buttons, bigger up than down, until it is quite the same by 1868.
And...how did you deal with the musket? The Guard 1854 pattern, muzzle loading doesn't resemble a lot to the Gras or the Lebel...