Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Painted examples of Austrian staff?

peter...i've painted the set except for the hungarian hussar officer with the spyglass. from what i could figure, my staff officers have red trousers and my hungarians have blue. trim is optional according to what unit they represent. the field officers wear grey coats. and as far as the royals, it's hard to say what they looked like. schwarzenburg has epaulets, which was rare in the austrian army i think. more later as i find more source material. perhaps an osprey book will help if there is one. good luck.

Re: Re: Painted examples of Austrian staff?

I too would like to see some painted Austrians, as I am very unsure how to handle Schwarzenberg. Not only does he have epaulettes, which Austrians did not wear, he sports a cartridge box as well! And if anyone can tell what is on the left side of his coat I would be extremely gratefull. It looks to me like some sort of snake-like creature. Maybe the Alien has just burst out of his abdomen. By the way, shame on Strelets for giving such poor treatment to the Austrian Empire, who were Napoleon's most consistant enemy on land.

There is an Osprey book on Austrian commanders. Elite 101.

Re: Re: Re: Painted examples of Austrian staff?

actually i think the overall quality of the austrian staff is rather good. schwarzenburgs epaulets may have been worn at leipzig, when he was appointed general of all allied armies. the one thing about the higher ranks is they could have more freedom about their attire. (e.g. Murat) empereor francis is a little too tall, but i love the saluting officer and the adc holding his hat on. pair them up with italieris mounted austrian generals and see how they look. i think the austrians are as good as the french staff sets, but not as good as the british set. what does bite is that if you want to have all the three monarch's together at leipzig, Francis towers above both Fred Wilhelm and the czar, which doesn't look right, so i use his brother instead, archduke charles.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Painted examples of Austrian staff? Thanks

Thanks to all three of you for your input. I may just have to get that Osprey "Austrian Commanders" book. I didn't know there was such a thing. All the best. Peter

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Painted examples of Austrian staff? Thanks

I have the same problem with the austrian staff.
I am missing the source the sculptor has used.

It is not Osprey as it was in other cases like british or french staff (Osprey was the sculpting source, you can find pictures for almost all of them in Osprey).

In the case of the austrians and also the russians Osprey will not help you a lot.

I was a little bit disappointed about the Austrian commanders book when I wanted to use it for painting the figures.

My figures are painted for 75 percent, but the last details are missing.

That is the reason why no pictures of the figures could be seen.

Perhaps Strelets can tell us the sources that the sculptor has used for the figures?

Yep, I am struggling to finish off these.
Dear Madpenman
is it possible for you to post your examples on the Strelets site ??
Sure would be appreciated.
My only sources are mainly black white plates - bummer.

many thanks and regards
Mike McA

mike...sorry so late with reply. had a week off from everything. the problem i have with posting right now is that i'm not a great digital photographer just yet, but i would like to post a few sets at some time soon. i am working on it. hopefully, i can get a pic or two in. my color sources on Austrian staff officers were from various books and issues of military history magazines, all of which feature famous paintings which may or may not be entirely accurate, so you have to reach a happy median with your research. or else have a great library like Uwe! again, i will try to post and thanks for the interest.

Re: Re: Re: Painted examples of Austrian staff?

mike, perhaps i can scan a few photos of paintings i have in my archives. i'd be glad to e-mail you what i have, although it isn't much, possibly three or four images, but perhaps it might help. regards, madpenman.

Dear Madpenman

I would truly appreciate that, as I mentioned, I have little to go on and this is such a good set to finish.
Perhaps the other contributors to this thread may also wish to have those images supplied to them .....
if that is not too much trouble to you.

I certainly would love to see your finished figures when available.

many thanks and regards

Mike McA

mike...hopefully i can send you some scans in a week or so. i've been moving, so i have stuff scattered in three locations. but i think i can manage it. cheers, madpenman.