Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Crimean Women

Hi!
I will use women from the IMEX pilgrim set to have some nurses for my crimean armies, I don`t think, the dresses are than different.

Bye

Zsolt

Re: Re: Crimean Women

Don't forget about the Harem of the turkish generals. Belly dancers with and without veil. Girls serving food, smoking the water pipe, playing the flute or the harpe.

Imagine a Strelets set with such figures. Fascinating thought, but it won't happen. Cause, first, we're not sexist and the whole thing could be interpreted as such. Second, men buy toy soldiers and girls buy Barbie dolls. And I don't know of any girls collecting toy soldiers, really.

There is also "Molly Pitcher", whose real name I think was Mary Heyes. At the battle of Monmouth in the American War of Independence, she carried water in pitchers to give to the artillerymen. Her husband was one of the artillerymen, and when he was killed Mary took his place helping to load and fire the gun. George Washington, passing by, shouted "Well done Molly Pitcher", referring to the pitchers of water she had been carrying previously.

There was also a similar event at the siege of, I think, Saragossa in the Peninsular War when a Spanish girl "manned" the guns and became a national heroine. I have also often seen a French girl portrayed as carrying the Tricoleur in representations of the French Revolution - not sure if this is just symbolic or refers to an actual girl.

During the Napoleonic wars, women known as Cantinieres or vivandiere's, were very much part of the grand armee.
They provided food and wine or brandy to the men on the front line. They were often to be found in the thick of the fighting bringing sustenance to the fighting men, and helping the wounded. Such women were still an integral part of the french army during the whole of the crimean war.
The british army had no such organisation. However army regulations allowed for six soldiers out of every hundred to bring their wives with them on campaign. They had no offical status within the british army, and were actually becoming a liability up until they were organised by a woman called Lady Alicia Blackwood who opened a Laundry and a series of shops for the women to sell goods to the men.

As this is my first post to this site I hope it is useful to you gentlemen taking part in this very interesting discussion

Re: Re: Crimean Women

Hi Noel, and welcome to the forum. All contributions warmly received.

Re: Re: Re: Crimean Women

All very interesting facts. Simply heaps better than a newspaper. Thanks everyone for the fascinating facts. You have changed my mind. More famous women figurines please. Uhm, actually, would love some "Frontier women" shooting and reloading muskets, if I may ask!

Ya gotta love this forum!

Happy Collecting