Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Wolseley Pith Helmet v turban

Dear Dave
The British officers usually wore the turban though it depended on the the regiment. Most photos ( eg Skinners Horse 1st Bengal lancers) have them with turbans though these are usually studio/parade shots.
The Afridis were pretty good shots at long range and bagging an officer or two was a good start to a battle. It would make good sense not to stick out like the proverbial sore thumb in the NW frontier.

There were about 19 Bengal Lancer regiments alas none in South Africa 1899-1902. The Boer War demonstrated a lot of political sensitivities not evident in other colonial wars. Black Africans, Coloureds and Indians (a lot in S Africa- of course Gandhi was one of them at that time) were usually employed in a non-combat role or as scouts (blacks and coloureds) by both. sides.

Re: Wolseley Pith Helmet v turban

Hi David,

Thanks for the heads-up. I appreciate the accuracy of your information. Even the cover-box for my "Bengal Lancer" video has a studio shot of "The Coop" wearing a turbon.

I'm still hoping against hope, though, that there will be one or two of the Wolsely Helmets because I am not aware of any in existance in our scale yet, and I would like to buy tons of boxes to use for all sorts of conversions.

Or maybe we will all be surprised as the S*R Team expands it's WWI range to include the N. Africa British Infantry kitted with these!

As always, thanks again!

Re: Re: Wolseley Pith Helmet v turban

Dear Dave

If anybody attempts them they will have to be careful. A very difficult shape to get right. Invaluable also for WWI and early WWII. Many troops in Burma in WWII had them for parades and general issue but preferred the bush hat like the Aussies. My father in law used his Wolseley or pith for everything but its intended use.
In the UK we have Turner Classic Movies (TCM) on cable and the old Coop films figure regularly but not the one you mentioned.

Excellent (as are the rest of the Boer sets)

Re: Boers

please make also couple of children they to figth agaist brits also some captured boers

Great looking masters!