Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Flags

Exactly what Flambeau said.

I too cannot paint flags, so do the same, often either printing them off the web or buying ready printed/scaled ones off ebay.

Thank you all! This is exactly the information I was looking for. I Greatly appreciate it

I agree with the comments made by Flambeau and Roger. Paper flags are a better option in many ways, not least because:

- Moulded flags are usually too 'thick' to represent a fabric banner.

- Moulded flags also sometimes come with an engraved design. In some cases this is a fantastically-detailed piece of work by the sculptor; nevertheless, the design may not be what you need for your brave unit, and in some cases the engraving only comes on one side of the moulded flag anyway.

-Paper flags allow you to create more realistic folds in the banner itself. Flags are rarely if ever 'flat' when mounted vertically on the staff/pole.

If you have the time/patience/skill, here is an alternative to purchasing ready-printed flags. You can draw/paint your own, preferably at a larger scale than required for your 1/72 soldiers, then photograph it, shrink the photo to the required size on your computer, then print. Whilst there are very many very good comercially-available flags out there, they do not necessarily cover everything, and sometimes the only recourse is to make your own.

Also, I tend to find that many commercially-made flags look too 'exact'...because they are generated using a software package and/or computer drawing package. Producing your own good drawing still has the slight 'handmade' quality that the eye picks up, even on a small scale. And if you are able to see real examples of standards/colours which are a couple of hundred years old or older, you will notice that this handmade quality is apparent, in some cases very much so as the colour was. of course, hand-painted or hand-stitched for real!