Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: If

Flambeau
Ah, so many sets for this conflict one can dream of: a Russian army, Prussian artillery, cuirassiers, hussars with busbies, Austrian cuirassiers and and and ... And let's not forget the French and British!
Totally agree....but *if* Strelets was looking for a place to start the SYW, I think the unploughed field that is Russia is a good place to start.

donald

It's a good dream, donald! I would certainly buy Russian SYW sets if they ever made it to the market.

Some of the forthcoming cavalry sets that Strelets have planned for the WoSS range look to me as if they have a definite use, with only minor conversion, as mid C18th cavalry. I am thinking here of the Dutch Cuirassier set in particular, but also the various French Dragoon sets. The forthcoming/soon to be released Redbox British Horse and British Dragoon sets (ostensibly for the Jacobite rebellion, but actually generic for 1742-63 in my book) look very promising as well.

But yes, those Russians: Whole regiments of grenadiers in their unique headgear. Russian 'Corps of Observation' infantry in dismounted dragoon uniform. Russian artillery with their unique 'Unicorn' gun/howitzers. And of course, plenty of suitably wild Cossacks.:grinning:

Minuteman

Some of the forthcoming cavalry sets that Strelets have planned for the WoSS range look to me as if they have a definite use, with only minor conversion, as mid C18th cavalry. I am thinking here of the Dutch Cuirassier set in particular, but also the various French Dragoon sets. The forthcoming/soon to be released Redbox British Horse and British Dragoon sets (ostensibly for the Jacobite rebellion, but actually generic for 1742-63 in my book) look very promising as well.

I've looked hard at the beautiful Strelets' WSS figures but hair styles, cuff size & footwear have decided me that so far, I can't use them for the SYW.

You may well think otherwise & as a person who has used GNW figures from Zvesda & Strelets for my SYW armies, I can't be too sanctimonious.

donald

I agree that more SYW figures would be welcome; a range, in fact, as Strelets are producing for WoSS.

I also agree that WoSS figures do not, in most cases, make for good proxies for SYW figures, for the reasons given.

I differ only in that, for me, the areas to concentrate on are the equally important British and French.

This gets you:

(i) Some French to fight Prussians.

(ii) Franco-British conflicts on the Continent. Obviously there is the great set-piece battle of Minden and its campaign, but also deserving of the wargamer's interest is surely the British campaign of amphibious assault upon the French coast; "breaking windows with guineas"

(iii) The French-Indian War, to which we could add some Highlanders, Provincials, Compagnies franches de la marine in north American campaign dress etc

(iv) Clive in India. I've long thought that Mughal armies and Company sepoys should make and appearance in 1/72nd plastics. I appreciate that European infantry and artillery would form a minority in such a campaign, but would give us a start.

(v) Havanna, 1762, if you want to throw in some Spanish.

Edwardian
I agree that more SYW figures would be welcome; a range, in fact, as Strelets are producing for WoSS.

I also agree that WoSS figures do not, in most cases, make for good proxies for SYW figures, for the reasons given.

I differ only in that, for me, the areas to concentrate on are the equally important British and French.

This gets you:

(i) Some French to fight Prussians.

(ii) Franco-British conflicts on the Continent. Obviously there is the great set-piece battle of Minden and its campaign, but also deserving of the wargamer's interest is surely the British campaign of amphibious assault upon the French coast; "breaking windows with guineas"

(iii) The French-Indian War, to which we could add some Highlanders, Provincials, Compagnies franches de la marine in north American campaign dress etc

(iv) Clive in India. I've long thought that Mughal armies and Company sepoys should make and appearance in 1/72nd plastics. I appreciate that European infantry and artillery would form a minority in such a campaign, but would give us a start.

(v) Havanna, 1762, if you want to throw in some Spanish.
http://bennosfiguresforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=173&t=25055&p=276632#p276632