Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Amazing paint job by Pascal Graillou

Agree absolutely superb painting ,am extremely envious of talent shown, in fact
inspirational

am extremely looking forward to release of more French Dragoon sets, any news on this

cheers Old John

A fine paint job on these Listenois/de Beauffremont dragoons.

The only question is....."Maintenant, où sont les chevaux ?!!"

Yes congratulations Pascal! You have done a superb job of demonstrating how good a set of figures these are. I've started on some of these as General Mestre De Camp regiment and would be pleased if mine look half as good as yours!

Rich W
I've started on some of these as General Mestre De Camp regiment
Mestre de Camp....in terms of WoSS Flanders theatre of war, then a good choice! Mine are split between Rohan-Chabot and probably, also, Mestre de Camp.

Good though they look, dragoons in pale yellow/buff coats seem to be becoming a bit of a rarity by the time of the WoSS, although somewhat more common before this time (1680-1700). Reds, blues and (to some extent) greens prevail in 1700-1720.

Merci pour les compliments ,
Concernant ces dragon la tenue beige pâle correspond aux années avant la WSS ,d ailleurs ces dragons ont des tenues beaucoup plus proches du début du règne de Louis XIV que de la fin de règne

I’m a little disappointed by just how many of the dragoon uniforms during this period are red, as I was looking forward to stepping away from the endless red British and grey French infantry. I’m trying to recreate the dragoons in Blenheim and Mestre de Camp, Le Reine and Rohan Chabot are all red! Not so sure about Vasse, one source says red, but a couple of people online have gone for green. If anyone can shed any further light that would be great.

Anyhow, Pascal really has done marvellously with these!

I can understand the disappointment, Rich. Some nice yellow or green-coated dragoons would certainly look good amongst the defenders of Blenheim village.

However...according to the Letrun Histoire et Collections book on Dragoons (Vol1: 1669-1749) the 'Vasse' dragoons were also redcoats, albeit with green facings, breeches and cap (with red bag) and red saddle-cloths.

So it looks most likely that the entire dismounted brigade of dragoons in Blenheim were redcoats.

Incidentally, the above book indicates that the 'Vasse' dragoons only became this when the regiment changed hands in 1706, presumably having been re-built since the 1704 debacle. In 1704 this was the dragoon regiment Heron.

A little late to the discussion, but:

There were at least two dragoon regiments named Vasse-Dragoons after it's owner at different times.

a) Regiment Peysonnel (1674). became Gaubert in 1690, d'Albert in 1700, d'Amiens in 1701, du Heron in 1702, Bournoeuf in 1705 and Vasse in 1706. Uniform in Letrun p.32

and

b) Regiment Gevaudan (1689), became Vasse 1702 and Pourrieres 1705. That's the regiment that was at Blenheim. Uniform unknown, picture of the Guidon in Letrun's book p.58

Information about the regiments owners from C.A. Sapherson, The French Cavalry 1688-1715. PDF available in the web.

So at least with this regiment you might feel free to paint them as you like. I have in fact painted my Mestre de Camp-General in their old yellow uniforms - though probably historically not correct - but there's a famous picture by John Wootton of the Battle of Blenheim, showing Frech dragoons in yellow uniforms fighting allied infantry, if you take that as a reference it might justify the choice.