Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Good Bye Afrika Korps

In sorting through the troops this week out of a box of 215 Afrika Korps figures from Atlantic only 48 made it out alive. The rest had gone brittle. Earlier this week four sets of Airfix Wagon Train, and a number of other Western and ACW figures bit the dust.

Good bye old friends.

Mike Bunkermeister Creek
Bunker Talk blog

Re: Good Bye Afrika Korps

My experience with brittle Airfix, old Airfix, are the Terracotta color Western Wagons. Anything that color I give a good tweak and see if it snaps. I once bought a wagon off eBay, and just a modest tweak and the sprew snapped. I insisted on a refund. The seller really squealed but I got my money back. I never buy old figures unless I get confirmation they aren't brittle first. Hint, if a seller has an auction of figures, and you can see even one of the figures with it's feet/base broken off and sitting in two pieces - stay away.

As far as Atlantic, the only sets I actually like and have purchased are the Chinese Mao with rickshaws, Greek Warship, and all the Roman War Machines. I've never had a problem with any of those.

BTW, sorry for your loss! :disappointed: I still have my old favorites and when I need a psychological pick-me-up, I get a box out and do a little work with them. It's really good "Me time!" Have fun, Mike.

Sorry to hear that Mike.

Had some figures do that to me, a certain companys Napoleonic French Limbers, Caissons etc. And a couple boxes of their French Infantry.
Was absolutely gutting to see all that work crumble. Think it ended up being something like 4 or 5 limbers, 4 caissons, all 3 heavy ambulances plus all the horse teams for those sets, all turn to dust. As for the infantry, for 2 boxes worth, I think I have been left with maybe a 3rd of what I originally had from those 2 boxes.😭

Those sets were nowhere near as old as the Airfix or Atlantic kits you mention though.

Uh oh! That is the first I've heard of Atlantic figures going brittle. Other than all the Airfix figs people have already mentioned, I've only seen ESCI figures get brittle. Ironically, those even older, "cheap", Hong Kong figures are still going strong! I am being careful when I handle them all these days. I don't know what I'd do without some of my favorite sets. I find setting them up and looking at them very therapeutic!

I also find one of most rewarding things about this hobby is to set each army once a year & take pics to to compare to Last years armies & how they have grown.
The thought of them crumbling away scares me to death.:grimacing:

Obviously,nothing is forever

Shame. So far the only figure I have ever lost is an Airfix Ancient Briton chieftain who snapped off at the ankles and has left a pair of smoking boots at front of one of my multiple bases. Perhaps he was hit by a scorpion.

I have only had one instance with kneeling confederate shooting. His rifle snapped off. I thought at the time it was the paint I used but perhaps not.

A very long time ago on the Hat old forum this was debated at length, wiser heads than I that knew a thing or two about plastics said it was down to the type of plastic, age ,and exposure to direct sunlight and the more of that it got the quicker the brittleness arrives. Airfix stuff I forgive , they were toys for our youth, the fact that they are often still here now is testament to the fact they they served their purpose well. I know of someone who keeps lots of figures (all brands) in a window, in direct sunlight and has done for nearly twenty years years just to see how long it takes to go brittle and if one plastic is better than another, at present none have succumbed.

I also recall from that late 90s HaT conversation(s), someone who had a "know" about that industry in the 60s and 70s. There was supposedly some experiments in the plastic formula during a certain time. I do find it odd that many sets of the same plastic color, of the same sets, were fine, while some became brittle (Old west and Ancient Britons in rust, Romans in grey, animals in cream). If you could attribute it to age that is one thing, but many of these sets were in "blue boxes" while the older "1st issue Litho" boxes were fine. And later ones were fine too. I feel there is no single "smoking gun" here. As I said, I have some ESCI ones that went brittle, they were the early flat plastic, not the shinier plastic in the mid 80s and beyond. So the formula may be a thing, as possibly exposure to light and/or storage. Although, all my figs are kept in the same space, but only some went brittle.

Looking in hind-sight our generation of toy soldiers collectors were lucky to have benfitted simply by chance from a couple of technological advances.

First, after WWII plastics became a manufacturing rage.. "Unbreakable" soft plastic toy soldiers appeared everywhere. Britains created the Swoppets ranges of unbreakables and swoppables in 1/32. Then Giant Plastics, Corp via Hong Kong copied them and everything else under the sun in 1/72 HO scale. Like Arlin says, those Giant figures simply don't ever break. And if you look hard enough, many of the original copies are very highly detailed copies. But unfortunately as a kid I wasn't independently wealthy and couldn't travel the world looking for them, so, ...

The next innovation was eBay and the internet. The parents of those kids who bought Giant figures and other toys I was unaware of at that time stored them in their attics until their kids left the nest. When eBay blossomed and those houses got sold, these figures showed up on eBay. Compared to today, the prices then were reasonable. And they were pretty plentiful. Again, how lucky could we be? I think I've got all I really care to have of those rare, hard to find figures.

And now, here we are today. Strelets is carrying on the tradition of "unbreakable" plastic toy soldiers, and in nice colors, too. And for us! Again, how lucky can we be? "Thank you, Strelets Team!"

First my sympathy to Mike . Well here are my thoughts on the armies to dust. Twice in the 70s there was an oil shortages this led not only to the cost of plastic rising but also great shortages. Plastic was recycled but as the company I was working for found out the plastic had to be washed to remove the release agent also some "cheap plastic pellets" we bought were low grade and full of impurities, The "oil" used had not been refined to a high standard. We also sold some very old waste plastic that we had classed as not to be recycled This I think could be part of the reason we now have these problems.

Thats very interesting JAH. That would indeed probably have had an impact as you say.

My experience was with a companys figures made in a rather soft, rubbery sort of plastic. At the time I used enamel paint, & they started to crumble barely a year after I painted them!! These figures were "modern day" so not involved in the 70s issues you mention. Whether or not something similar involving the oil content was at fault, I have no idea.

However, since painting some more of these same sets with the rubbery plastic, this time using acrylics, I have had no problems......not yet anyway!!!!