Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Sometimes we feel like Moses, leading his people through the perils of the desert

Wonderful, but hold a Thompson by the magazine in combat and you invite it to jam ,misfire and you end up dead, the same was true of stens and probably most automatic weapons, the hand needs to be on the wooden grip under the barrel ,that is what it is there for. But another set of desert figures ,that is good news, and all sculpts very nice indeed.

Re: Sometimes we feel like Moses, leading his people through the perils of the desert

Some very nice figures there, especially like the falling wounded drummer!
But I agree with Alan.....don't go sculpting figures holding Thompsons & alike by the magazine, for the reasons Alan suggests.
These are the sort of silly design mistakes of late, that have often distracted from what are often nicely sculpted figures.

On the whole though, some nice work.

Hi team Strelets
Great desert masters again but don't forget winter is getting closer and we need to be able to campaign all year round. We might want to start gathering some good greatcoats for some action in the snow.
Cheers
CPN

Sad subject but a spectacular sculpture of the unfortunate drummer. That's war folks.
I've placed my order for the latest War of Spanish Succession sets and the Napoleonic Cavalry sets.
All I need now is time to paint them.

For a moment the mention of 'Moses' led me to wonder if Strelets are picking up where Caesar Miniatures appear to have left off, and doing a range of very ancient Biblical figures....:palm_tree:

But another Friday of imaginative figures.,,,well done! A drummer casualty is further evidence perhaps for an Austrian WoSS Firing Line. In which case, very good, and this pose will be useful for dioramas and, to some extent, wargamers.

The DAK rifleman looks very good. I agree with Alan's observations regarding the 8th Army NCO firing his Thompson however. The hand-grip underneath the barrel of the weapon is there for a purpose. I am also not so sure about the 'Boys Own' Bren gunner, although firing from the hip is possible with this weapon and was occasionally done. The top half of the sculpt also seems to be proportionally larger than the bottom half. If I am nit-picking there is a hint also of a fixed bayonet here which is about half the proper length for the sword bayonet (Pattern 1907 Mk 1) fixed to the Lee Enfield rifles in the Desert.

As for the cauldron...perfect!

Have a good weekend:relaxed:

The SMLE bayonet came in at least two sizes, 12 in and 17in , the bren gunner firing from the hip was done,one well documented case in Crete written about by German para`s , alas it did not end well for the Bren gunner. But moulding a Bren gun and gunner prone has been a problem for the two part mould since ,well forever, so compromise is the path every manufacturer has chosen to take.

alans right about the smle bayonet the 1907 was 17 inchs i think it was the indian pattern 1907 that was 12 inchs. but the figure may be using a 1903 type but dont know why as rare by ww2 as for the thompson the only reason to be holding the mag is to be changing the mag as empty or just reloaded it

I think maybe the kneeling firing is an Italian (the hat looks closer to theirs and he has puttees. I hope he is Italian.

And really I don't think I need another DAK or Japanese set, my armies are complete, we have been blessed with most every gap being filled, well, for the most part. There can always be something exotic like JAPANESE SNLF or Luftwaffe in desert uniform.

But I really am hoping for allies or adversaries now of DAK and IJA. I hope the Bren gunner and Thomson guy are from a set of Aussies in North Africa.
Arlin