Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Austrian Uhlans and more civilians

Thanks Phil. Makes perfect sense. Not so easy to load and fire a musket when mounted. They still 'got about the place', though? Rode into action and all that. There are plenty of images (contemporary or otherwise) of them mounted.

I'll find out more about them (and so much more besides) when I read more about that campaign (in due course). Rafa Parda (Project Leipzig blog and website) did a wonderful conversion to produce some Regiment de Dromedaires using some of the late 18thC camel troops (I have in my plans to emulate his work).

Speaking of camels, one of the more bizarre stories that I have been made aware of is the Ottomans mounting canon on dromedaries at the Battle of Batocina in 1689. Mugnai relates the tale in his recent, marvellous book about the Ottoman army of those times.

"... the most singular attempt to improve the mobility of the artillery was undoubtedly the one experienced at Batocina in 1689. At the end of the battle, the Imperialists captured a dromedary with two three-pound guns placed on either side of the hump. The poor animal carried all the equipment to load the weapons, including a servant who manoeuvred the cannons by means of ropes." He also quotes Marsigli:
"...and considering the vain attempt, the Turks retired immediately their artillery was an entertainment for our Imperial side to see the foolish idea and we all smiled about this strategem."

One for a later conversion for sure!

Regards, James

James Fisher
Ooo yeah! This is a brilliant addition to the expanding Napoleonic cavalry at rest 'series'. Gorgeous figures too and more of those wonderful civilians. Uhlan/lancer uniforms being so similar they'll have plenty of conversion potential, for those who like to 'dabble'.

Being limp and falling, the flag does not seem that far out; 800 mm x 800 mm for the ordinar standard and 800 mm x 600 mm for the leib (based on my check of Rawkins' excellent compilation of the subject). That is around 10–11 mm at our scale (8 mm for the vertical of the smaller leib—I am pretty sure that he states the fly first). If our sitting fellow is around 22 mm high (perhaps including up to half of the plume to take account of the rounded legs, in an 'eye-balling' measurement?), then...

What will be next in this 'series', Austrian Hussars? I hope so.

Thanks once more Strelets. As you said 'Murat', the sculptors are working overtime!

James

p.s. Or, perhaps some like the one at the right of this image, Murat?! :grinning:

Ah, James, Sigh!
Didn't I say that I wouldn't mention camels.
But, I loved to have some of those chaps on the right.🤔

Looking good and great for conversions too! And, no, I'm not going to mention horses - no I won't ...,
but there's one detail, I'm not sure about, that's the plumes on the czapka. Many pictures show them as straight and upright, as they've been done here similar to French Guard Lancers. However:

https://www.pinterest.de/pin/533324780852092442/

There's a good contemporary picture of the Schwartzenberg Uhlans by Johann Adam Klein in Hourtoulle's "1814 - The campaign for France" (p.14, can't find it on the web, sorry) depicting what looks rather like a downfalling horsehair "plume" than the upright feathers modelled here.

Flambeau
Looking good and great for conversions too! And, no, I'm not going to mention horses - no I won't ...,

😂😂😂 we will blame it on a "Freudian Slip" shall we?!!!

But yes hopefully we will see some better horses!! But nope, I've said all what im gonna say about them now.
Balls in Strelets court from here on.

Cant fault the sculpting of the various troopers though, accuracy mistakes maybe here and there, thats a different matter, & maybe they arent in the poses I personally may prefer, but in terms of the human anatomy and uniform that is present, what is done is very good.