Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: By a horses head

Well I had horses running around in my field for decades and can say that horses can be quite different from one another, though it seemed to me the heads were a bit small and bodys a little overwieght as far as some recent strelets horses are concerned, but didnt consider it outside the realm of reality...
In anycase most modern breeds can be somewhat different to their forebears...

The skinny breed that strelets posted above I found quite interesting in that I haven't seen this before but reminded me of when I was looking for evidence of Ancient Egyptian horses, mostly because the Caesar and Atlantic Ponies/horses are quite different...
In anycase the long and the short is that I discovered there were several breeds in the ancient middle east that would fit quite well, though the Atlantic horses were more likely the Pharaohs personal thoroughbreds by Egyptian chariot standards but both existed from skeletal evidence...

In any case my point is you need to look at evidence from the past rather then comparing modern breeds, even ones that have an ancient ancestry...

These days my main concern is whether or not a horses gait looks realistic and the riders actually fit!

:wink:

Thats the issue Ironsides, the head to body ratio etc.
No one is saying that horses arent different or have small or large heads. A Dutch Warmblood for example has a large head compared to a thoroughbred.
But it has to all be in proportion. You cant stick a small head on a neck and body of something more akin to a much more "butch" body. Just as you cant stick a huge head on a little body. Its no different to human sculpts. We say they look comical when their heads are odd to their body, i feel the same when looking at some makers horses.

Your be surprised how little breeds have changed over the last few centuries. A few have but not drastically, & not your general European sort, which these cavalry sets represent. Not many mammals have changed noticably in 200 odd years in general anyway....prehistoric times....thats different, horses didnt have hoofs then for example, they had proper toes!!!

As I say, its better to look what breeds were used by whoever and sculpt accordingly.
But.... even if the 2 breeds shown by Strelets are what the current horses are ment to be, the sculptor has still not done a great job of it. No offense, but its clear that horses are not this persons strength. People and artillery may very well be different, so play to his/her strengths.
Wouldnt ask a plumber to fix a car...you call a mechanic!!
So get someone who sculpts men AND horses well to do cavalry!!!! A no-brainer i'd of thought!!

PSR have been reviewing cavalry sets for ages now. If people dont want listen to my view on the current sculpts, listen to them who have summed it up well.

Roger, Ironsides

I think you both have a point here. While I understand the disappointment of some here when comparing the horses of the latest Napoleonic sets with others Strelets and other companies have produced before and critism as such is good and valid there's no need to start ranting. Even if ranting on a forum to vent some frustration certainly is better than beating ones dog or children ... 😒.
Looking at the pictures linked and posted here I think the sculptor may have worked from paintings rather than life objects. Which is perhaps not the best way, but as long as it's not a horse straight out of a Dali painting as those in Italeris Prussian cavalry and the riders fit the horses, so be it. If those were kickstarter sets and people had put their money into them, some stronger comments might be in place, but as it is imho some are a little bit over the top. So let's sit down have a cigar or a glass of wine and relax. In the end sales will tell.