Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: French guards chasseurs

I am very disappointed that Strelets reuse again the weak horses of the prussians. I can live with generic horses but not with shrinked horse-skulls which are to be reworked intensivly to look like horses. These "horses" aren´t even suitable as mules which have bigger skulls in relation to theirs bodies.

I will buy one set only for the women. It´s a pity with better horses, it could have been certainly more. Cavalry aren´t only riders.....

sansovino
I am very disappointed that Strelets reuse again the weak horses of the prussians. I can live with generic horses but not with shrinked horse-skulls which are to be reworked intensivly to look like horses. These "horses" aren´t even suitable as mules which have bigger skulls in relation to theirs bodies.

I will buy one set only for the women. It´s a pity with better horses, it could have been certainly more. Cavalry aren´t only riders.....
I can only agree in regards to the level of sculpting for the horses in the Napoleonic sets.
Theres only so many spare horses someone has in a spares box, and no way am I going to go and buy boxes of other cavalry sets just to get the horses to use for Strelets cavalry troopers. Would make the Strelets sets expensive in the long run. Not to mention then end up with a load of horseless riders from other sets. Its just not a practical solution.
So improving the horses quality is a absolute must as far as im concerned. Finding better horses everytime Strelets makes a new cavalry set just isnt sustainable. If the current sculptor struggles with horses, find someone else to do the cavalry. No point constantly asking someone to sculpt cavalry sets if they cannot sculpt horses.
Its like asking someone to make artillery sets only without the gun barrel.

This is a set of which I shall probably buy just the 1 box, to use for Napoleons personal guard. They are too well uniformed and relaxed for me to use for anything else. The Revell set still wins that role.
The more relaxed poses will be somewhere in the rear around the field hospital perhaps....having maybe brought a comrade in for treatment & taking the opportunity to have a quick break.

You're absolutely right about the horses, Roger. I remember well buying several boxes of Italeri French Hussars just to get some horses to remount Waterloo 1815's Line Lancers and Italeri's Line Chasseurs. Though imho the horses in those two sets were far worse than the ones here, which are just not great.

Flambeau
You're absolutely right about the horses, Roger. I remember well buying several boxes of Italeri French Hussars just to get some horses to remount Waterloo 1815's Line Lancers and Italeri's Line Chasseurs. Though imho the horses in those two sets were far worse than the ones here, which are just not great.
"....which are just not great"?

Sorry Flambeau, but these horses are really failed. Look theirs missing bellies, some strange legs and skulls.

Only Redbox (the italian renaissance cavalry) and Haet (all napoleonic austrian wagon-horses) have produced still more strange horses with ridiciolous anatomies.

Oh well, I just tried not to be too harsh and save as little as could be saved.
But regarding ugly horses:
Italeri Prussian Light Cavalry ...
HaT Russian cossacks ...
Italeri French Light Cavalry (wrong saddles) ...
A lot of the early Mars sets ...
Airfix French cuirassiers ... ok that's unfair they're from the stone age of our hobby ...
And while the list is admittedly somewhat short these ARE worse.

For a diorama and viewed from afar I suppose our friends will do, but of course if you compare them to what has been achieved by this company and others with other sets, they fall rather short.

The sets you mention Flambeau do indeed have poor horses so you are correct.
I wasnt impressed with the Italeri Prussian & French light cavalry sets overall anyway. The Prussian dragoons are giants with odd poses and postures. The French set had the same problem as the infantry set.....rather chunky, well fed, fellows who seem to have lost their necks and chins!!
Mars i dont think ive ever bothered with and im not a fan of the Airfix Cuirassiers as they just didnt seem to have the "presence" of heavy cavalry to me anyway.

I think in relation to Strelets horses,it is not that they are the worst horses ever made, instead its that they are indeed poor....AND being reused again in other Napoleonic sets, so it will be a recurring problem. Strelets can do much better I think, which in a way is a complement to them and how far they have come.