Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Lookin' forward to them Russian hussars

Dear Strelets,

I have been looking again at your wonderful masters for the coming set of Russian hussars. They are superb. I am looking forward to getting my hands on them. Two or three boxes for me; perhaps even one per regiment if I get really carried away...

The detail on the men is exquisite. I, for one really like the size, poses and proportions of the horses. They fit perfectly with so many of those from period paintings and uniform prints. The civilians are an excellent 'bonus'.

Not wanting to represent a standard a-historically I'll convert that figure, use it on command stands, vignettes or such—other uses that I have not yet considered. Plenty of uses for me.

Now, about those Russian infantry in greatcoats in attack...!! :)

Regards, James

p.s. Any chance of some Austrian cavalry in the near future? (Unbelievably) hussars have not been done directly by anyone. There were loads of Austrian hussars in every army in every campaign. Uhlans have only been made by Mars in a dynamic, action set that I like, but I suspect splits the audience (they are in the late uniform too). The available chevau-légers/dragoons and cuirassiers are good, serviceable sets, but poses that are of the classical model soldier style and limits to the headgear. Plenty of scope for the 'Strelets touch'.

p.p.s. Speaking of Austrians, I am looking forward to some Hapsburg/Imperials amongst the 11 further sets for War of Spanish Succession along with figures for other nations (hopefully some further east too...?). That 'announcement' was a fabulous thing. It's great when a manufacturer produces lots of offerings in an era.

Re: Lookin' forward to them Russian hussars

I agree, the detailing on the men is fanatastic.
The lance equipped poses are great. The lancer figures in general seem to be some of Strelets best work...like the Prussian Uhlans, 7th Uhlans.
I would still prefer to see more swords drawn among the other poses & sets who arent lancers.
Flag bearer though needs be dropped. I see PSR have already shown disdain for seeing it included again in their set news.

As for the horses, they are improvments on the Prussian set versions, but they can still be much better. Head/ears & necks seem to be where the issues centre. Also need watch length of horses back. The saddle should never go beyond the last rib as a rule. Otherwise thr horse will be in discomfort and probably throw the rider!
But they are improvements definately.

Yes the masters are great, but unfortunately there's a slight error: I'm prettey certain that hussars equipped with a lance didn't wear a pelisse (look at the Zvezda set for comparison), because it was easier to use the lance without it if I remember it right.

Flambeau
Yes the masters are great, but unfortunately there's a slight error: I'm prettey certain that hussars equipped with a lance didn't wear a pelisse (look at the Zvezda set for comparison), because it was easier to use the lance without it if I remember it right.
Taken from Napolun.com:

Note:
Russian hussar with lance
"In 1812 lances were issued to the troopers of the first rank in the hussar regiments. It was also ordered that the hussars who carry lances should either wear no pelisse or wear it with arms in sleeves and never be thrown over the shoulder so they do not interfere with handling of the lances."

Ah.....oh dear. Thanks for the heads up Flambeau.

Yep, that's the one. Funny enough Strelets got it right with their old set of Russian hussars. As far as I can see all figures supposed to cary a lance wear the pelisse with arms in sleeves. Oops ...

I agree James. In a pleasing case of things coming along at the right time (serendipity) the Russian Hussars in reserve are just what I need for a diorama-type project that I am working on using many of the various Russian 'standing' infantry figures. It is a departure from my more usual projects, which feature units in 'wargame' poses, but this new 1812 project could really benefit from a couple of boxes of the new Hussars.

I'm also with you regarding Austrian (Hungarian) Hussars. Would be good to see some sets of these.

The issue of pelisse on or off is well spotted Flambeau. Zvezda got it right with their beautiful Russian Hussars set. However, let us also remember that the whole issue of whether to model Napoleonic figures in 'realistic' style or 'dress style' will roll on forever. From a functional viewpoint wearing the pelisse as a jacket is by far the best thing to do, especially when armed with a lance. But then, on a hot day, is the pelisse worn at all? Or is it rolled up and strapped on top of the saddle valise? And for that matter, on campaign shouldn't horses be festooned with more 'stuff' (baggage, feed bags etc)...??

Let us hope that Strelets are able to include this set in their next big release.

For those interested in the realistic appearance, look here:

https://www.marksrussianmilitaryhistory.info/Hussars1812.htm

excellent information there, imho.

Minuteman, yes the discussion is and will be an endless one. If people don't care about the realistic look, that's fine, I suppose nobody here has a completely "realistic" army and most will have exchanged their realistic Esci Guard lancers for the Zvezda parade style figures once this set hit the market, just because they were such fine models.
The discussion resembles the one regarding missing bayonets. Look at it this way: Many people will ignore the realistic part, just say that the models look great and buy them anyway. Which is great. But a company that adopts this view also ignores the by no means small group of customers who care about a realistic look. And while as a company you can't please everybody, you should try to please as many customers as possible. Those buyers who don't care about missing fixed bayonets probably won't mind if the bayonets are there and those who don't care whether a pelisse is absent, worn or hanging over the shoulder, probably also won't complain if the feature is correct. Imagine how many more boxes Waterloo 1815 might have sold of their Prussian Hussars if they had depicted them in the correct fashion (with shako covers, pelisse worn as a jacket). So the best way to please as many potential buyers as possible is to avoid gross mistakes and make pleasant sculpts, at least that's what I think.

Flambeau you pretty much sum up my thoughts too. I like figures to be as correct as is possible at this scale, and with the information available.

I am starting to wonder if the sets are being rushed now to meet demand. Hence the rise is mistakes.

Due to the lack of many poses with sabres drawn ready, the lancer element here was what appealed to me the most, so the pelisse thing is not great but based on recent other mistakes, not suprising.

It strikes me as more of a "at ease" type set than standing in reserve when I really think about it.
If they were in a position as to be able to relax to such an extent, would many of them be mounted at all? Anyone who has spent any time in a saddle will tell you that after being in one for a good number of hours, you are happy to hop off....especially if you are a man! 😉😂....and thats in modern saddles!!
So if these guys are far enough away from seeing action that they can relax this much, I think they would want to dismount.

Im hoping for more battle ready, yet still stationary cavalry sets. Figures with sabres drawn, awaiting an order to move forward or charge. With the majority of poses doing exactly this, so someone can make up a large formation without a load of wastage, and not an expensive job of buying tons of boxes just to get the poses they need. Boxes with 12 Men in would be limiting if many of the poses are going to be either drinking, smoking or fiddling with carbines. Leave the carbine fiddlers for cavalry sets either "on patrol" or on "picket duty"!!

I honestly didnt know about the pelisse thing until you mentioned it Flambeau, so thanks for that useful info.

Just some eyecandy:

http://uniformenportal.de/picture.php?/3191/tags/15-e_husaren
http://uniformenportal.de/picture.php?/3189/tags/15-e_husaren
http://uniformenportal.de/picture.php?/3192/tags/15-e_husaren
http://www.napoleon-online.de/Bilder/cappi_russen_tafel15.jpg

If you're interested in the realistic stuff try to look for pictures by Johann Adam Klein who portrayed Russian and Austrian troops (plus some others) passing through Bavaria between 1813 and 1815.

Flambeau
Just some eyecandy:

http://uniformenportal.de/picture.php?/3191/tags/15-e_husaren
http://uniformenportal.de/picture.php?/3189/tags/15-e_husaren
http://uniformenportal.de/picture.php?/3192/tags/15-e_husaren
http://www.napoleon-online.de/Bilder/cappi_russen_tafel15.jpg

If you're interested in the realistic stuff try to look for pictures by Johann Adam Klein who portrayed Russian and Austrian troops (plus some others) passing through Bavaria between 1813 and 1815.

Thank you Flambeau. All good and considered points, and also some very useful references.

Whilst the pictures of Napoleonic (and other) troops painted 'on the spot' by a contemporary artist sometimes lack the artistry and dramatic effect of, say, a very good Osprey picture (and I take it that not all Osprey artwork is good or even acceptable), these artists were there and saw uniforms and troops with their own eyes. These are therefore the best visual descriptors we have of Napoleonic troops. Combined with the few remaining items of uniform, helmets and weapons, we can piece together a realistic view from these.

What a wonderful artist J.A Klein was!! Thanks for that Flambeau!

Theres me intending to look at the Napoleonic stuff you recommended, and I end up enjoying looking at his work on country/farming life!!!!
Wonderfully talented artist.

You're welcome. It's always nice to discover some new artist or book and as much as I like it if someone points out something new and enjoyable to me, it's also nice to see that from time to time I can return the favour.

If you're interested in his military stuff look here:

http://www.ltr-verlag.com/uniform-plates-johann-adam-klein/

Unfortunately the folders with Austrian uniform plates seem to be out of stock with this publisher, but the Russians are still available.

You might also be interested in this guy: Wilhelm von Kobell, his works are somewhat easier to find on the web

https://www.amazon.de/Wilhelm-von-Kobell-1766-1853-05-02-2006-01-05-2006/dp/3777430358

I suppose you know the work of Albrecht Adam because of his drawings from the campaign of 1812, but his non military stuff is also worth more than a casual look. Have fun!

Thanks, great additions! And what do we see: Absolutely everybody - with the exception of aclone commanding officer - either has no pelisse or is wearing it arms in sleeves ... Not so hard to find ... sigh ...

Your right, with the internet its not difficult to have a good look around and find information. Yesterday it took me all of maybe 5 minutes using google to find that info about the lancers not having pelisses slung over shoulders. Think it was the 1st link.

Well as ive mentioned before with other sets.
Its either a case of someone not doing any proper research, the sculptor isnt following enough research and/or doing their own artistic interpretations, or things are being rushed.
Maybe even a combination of all 3.
Either way it lets down otherwise wonderful sculpting.

I know some say we should just be greatful that Strelets made a particular set, but such issues can be the difference in a good many of us not buying that many boxes, if any at all, to if properly done, buying a good many boxes.

Well, I suppose ignorance can be a blessing ... the more we know, the more critical we get. Doesn't make life easier ... :wink:

Very true!!