Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: It`s Friday and time for the new Desert stuff.

So who makes a movie like " la ciociara " with Sofia Loren being raped by goumiers or who the vietnam cruelty movie made by American soldiers ( Sean Penn, Michael J.Fox) is a mental deviant? But how are you doing? I'm going to close it here! I apologize to everyone if I have offended the sensibilitness of some but history teaches that it is not by hiding or forgetting that we learn from it. Friendly Marco.

Can still remember the turmoil here and at other hobby forums when Caesar released their 1st set on the subject in 2006 (H031 Modern Urban Resisters).
Considered soberly, a successful set, but for some forumists it was already way beyond the bounds of what was tolerable.
http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=1044

For many hobbyists it seems more acceptable to limit drastic depictions to conflicts that took place further back in time.
The mentioned Vikings are a good example, but on the other hand there were also a few oversensitive comments on Linear-A's Varus Battle sets.
Although there might be geezers who would rejoice if there was an "appropriate" set on the Holocaust, ostensibly because it would be "so original", I would find it extremely distasteful.
The same blokes, however, would probably have a problem with the depiction of starving Boer families in british concentration camps... as would I, by the way.
This illustrates an often biased & undifferentiated attitude unfortunately displayed by a few.
Furthermore, it should of course be clear that an apparent "terrorist" can be a heroic "freedom fighter" for others.
Again a question of perspective, as so often.

Regarding the farcical attitude of being permanently offended nowadays, I can only agree. Such people often contribute nothing of substance other than endlessly repeating their indignation and obvious inability to fully consider & understand complex themes.

In view of the transgressions of the Gourmirs, one or more sets of various European (& perhaps East Asian) WWII civilians could be a reasonable solution. These often requested sets could also include a few restrained scenes regarding terrorised civilians.

Good and right words my friend.