Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Collectors of Medieval Era Sets?

Yaaay!! A full Byzantine roster would of course be most welcome, but even one command set with officers/standard bearers/musicians would be super useful, because the empire used so many mercenaries they could be placed onto the other Strelets Viking/Anglo-Saxon/Norman sets with ease to create believable armies pretty quickly. After all, the Battle of Dyrrhachium in 1081 featured a bunch of Harald Godwinson's former elites in the service of Emperor Alexios I Komnenos, a trip they were regretting afterwards!

Re: Collectors of Medieval Era Sets?

TheBabylonian109
After all, the Battle of Dyrrhachium in 1081 featured a bunch of Harald Godwinson's former elites in the service of Emperor Alexios I Komnenos, a trip they were regretting afterwards!
The fact that a few 'refugee' Houscarls of Harald II's retinue may have made it to Byzantium post-1066 is one of those things that sets the imagination going. It is indeed probable that elite Northern European infantrymen in the service of the Emperor Alexios I Komnenos (and his predecessor(s)) would have been Viking/Rus in origin, but this does not preclude Saxons as well. The ability to wield a two-handed battle-axe with skill was clearly valued in the Byzantine military.

I'm sure that a decade or two as an elite soldier in the service of the Emperor in the relative luxury of Byzantium cannot have been that bad....certainly in comparison with a life of servitude to a Norman Lord in rainy Britain.