Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Collectors of Medieval Era Sets?

Yea I agree. I tried to balance in Strelets Mini's Tecumseh warriors for a short time, but that DID NOT work at all and led to a bunch of restrictions being put in place. It was pretty funny seeing Tecumseh and the STRM035 Ancient Germans team up for a short time though! :joy:

Yes I love medieval stuff from about 500 AD to 1500 AD.

The biggest omission is Byzantine stuff and I wish Strelets would take up the challenge particularly for 11th century as it would provide a beautiful enemy for their Normans and their Middle Eastern sets.

A personal hobby horse is some decent Picts and Irish for the latter part of the first millenium, very distinctive warriors from the Romano-Britons and Saxons of the time.

I liked the medieval militia sets that Strelets produced and would love to see well done pike armed sets to represent the forces of the city states of the Low Countries.

Yaaay!! A full Byzantine roster would of course be most welcome, but even one command set with officers/standard bearers/musicians would be super useful, because the empire used so many mercenaries they could be placed onto the other Strelets Viking/Anglo-Saxon/Norman sets with ease to create believable armies pretty quickly. After all, the Battle of Dyrrhachium in 1081 featured a bunch of Harald Godwinson's former elites in the service of Emperor Alexios I Komnenos, a trip they were regretting afterwards!

TheBabylonian109
After all, the Battle of Dyrrhachium in 1081 featured a bunch of Harald Godwinson's former elites in the service of Emperor Alexios I Komnenos, a trip they were regretting afterwards!
The fact that a few 'refugee' Houscarls of Harald II's retinue may have made it to Byzantium post-1066 is one of those things that sets the imagination going. It is indeed probable that elite Northern European infantrymen in the service of the Emperor Alexios I Komnenos (and his predecessor(s)) would have been Viking/Rus in origin, but this does not preclude Saxons as well. The ability to wield a two-handed battle-axe with skill was clearly valued in the Byzantine military.

I'm sure that a decade or two as an elite soldier in the service of the Emperor in the relative luxury of Byzantium cannot have been that bad....certainly in comparison with a life of servitude to a Norman Lord in rainy Britain.